What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying without spinner.. cooling?

LAL

Friend
Folks,
Details not worth bothering you with, but I am wondering if flying without a prop spinner for a couple of weeks will precipitate any cooling issues. RV7A, IO360A1A, standard Vans horiz sump cowl. Experience with this out there?
Much appreciated.
Len

seems like someone posted that they flew without theirs.

They report little effect with it missing.
Do a search on "spinner cooling".

Kent

We did just that when Sensenich used my RV6 several years ago to test the 180 HP prop. The entire test program was done without the spinner. We flew about 25hrs, some in the famous Texas summer heat. I could not detect any negative effect on cooling under any flight condition. You do need to have the back plate in place to cover the large front opening in the cowl. If you have fillets mounted to the back plate that close the opening between the prop shank and the spinner, they must be removed or the centrifugal force will bend them outward.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Safety wire

The fillets can be safety-wired to each other to prevent slinging them out. My Cessna 310 shed a spinner and that's how we flew it home.

Regards,
Pierre

LAL said:
Folks,
Details not worth bothering you with, but I am wondering if flying without a prop spinner for a couple of weeks will precipitate any cooling issues. RV7A, IO360A1A, standard Vans horiz sump cowl. Experience with this out there?
Much appreciated.
Len

I could detect no difference in speed or cooling w/o the spinner. I flew for about 50 hours w/o the spinner cause I was too lazy to fix mine.

No spinner *and* no backplate, however?

I am still a bit unclear if the backplate is necessary. I ask because this would be without backplate.. those of you flying without spinner were also without backplate?
Thanks!
Len

Back