What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying Without Pants On...

24Golf

Well Known Member
I have been flying so far without the wheel pants and gear leg fairings due to Vans new engine break-in recommendations. At what point should I put her pants on? I have 6+ hours without much oil consumption and have delayed some testing since the lack of pants will effect outcome.

Also, can I install the pants and leg fairings without the upper leg fairing transition pieces (still working on)?

I flew my 6A for a while with just the pants, and no fairings. The pants had been previously set with weight off the aircraft. This was after approx. 25 hrs. At that point, I lined up the fairings & also the top & bottom intersections...........as they help keep the leg fairing in place. The bottom fairings are fiberglassed to the pants. Some builders use screws & nutplates.

Something to think about. I lined up the fairings with weight off the wheels. But as I remember (with suggestions from others)........I set the intersections with weight on the wheels. You might want to search the forums for info on that subject.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I know someone who flew with his pants on. He and his girlfriend almost didn't get back to their home airport due to fog...

Oh, that's a different story.

I have never flown without them

I would put them on when you want to. I have never flown our RV-6A without every fairing in place.

Bob Axsom

I started flying with no pants or leg fairings. Still don't have the pants done, but I did put my leg fairings on, and it flies just fine with them in place, and they are solid without the intersection fairings.

Back