What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to St Joseph, MO Mem Weekend

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
My wife and I are planning to experience our first cross country trip since our horrible trip to Sun N Fun and spending the last two months repairing all of the damages done to our RV9A. We are planning to fly to St. Joseph, MO to visit her mother this Memorial weekend. We plan to fly into Rosecrans (KSTJ) airport just west of St. Joseph.

After dealing with the issues of tie-downs ripping out of the ground we are very reluctant to park our airplane outside again. Are there any RV guys around the St. Joseph, MO area that would be willing to house our rebuilt 9A overnight this Saturday at Rosecrans airport, or maybe some other location if logistics could be worked out? We would welcome any advice on other airports.

Fuel at Rosecrans is 6.15/gal 100LL so not looking forward to that but since my wife is making peace with flying cross country just a short two months after our Sun N Fun debacle, I will consider that part of the price to pay to have her willing to fly in our plane again. The incentive to see her mother is most definitely helping her get back into the air again but she is very concerned about having our airplane damaged again.

We would love to be able to talk RV's with fellow owners if there are any around the area.

bump, bump!!

Really!! I was hopeful there might have been someone with hangar space available but even without that I was hopeful we could at least find someone interested in talking RV's. I would have thought there were a few around. So, there are no RV guys in the St. Joseph, MO area?

Oh really?

Not from Montana but I am also headed out there in the couple of weeks. I get the feeling that it is just you and me and a big sky out there. I have a surprise trip to take a star struck guy out to propose to his girlfriend. Do you remember those days? Oh and there must be one girl and her dad out there somewhere.

I can't help you with your trip, but if you ever get as far as Seattle I will be glad to put you up and talk about airplanes.

I have had a couple of those "Oh really" moments too. I have not had one taker for the RV-Hotel and I am close to a big city. It must be that Seattle is not in the middle of a cross country trip unless you are headed to Alaska maybe. These RV guys are an odd lot... Oh wait I am one :p

Thanks for the post TOAD. I fear that my post may have confused you and perhaps others. I am flying to St. Joseph, Missouri.

I most definitely would love to fly out to Montana but it is not in the cards for this trip. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

So, if there are any RV guys in the St. Joseph, Missouri area I hope I did not confuse you with my post.

Steve,
Just currious if your mother in law lives in St Joseph or near. My mother lives about 30 miles north in Oregon, Mo. so I know the area somewhat. I personally try and avoid Rosecrans due to experience with birds nests (could have been prevented with cowl inlet plugs) over the course of 2 days and more importantly the expense of the FBO there. I land at either Mound city, Mo (private call for permision) or Falls city, NE. Depending on where your mother in law lives Cameron, Mo may work for you. Good luck....
Ryan

Yes, she does live in St. Joseph. Off of Fredrick on the east side of I-29. I am a little shocked at the fuel prices and hangar rent at Rosecrans but I am not familiar enough with the surrounding areas to know where else to go. That is why I was hoping someone on here would have some advice. Thanks for yours. I will check out some of the other airports you mentioned.

Cameron is about 30 miles to the east isn't it? Where is Mound City from St. Joe?

You might also check out Farris airstrip at Faucet, Mo just south of St Joseph I have never been in there but the contact information is in airnav I believe. When my parents lived in Savanah I used to use Worth just NE but the old boy who used to put me up there passed away several years ago and I have no Idea if his family is still there or if someone else has the strip. Mound city (crop care is a little far north at probably 40 miles north on I29 but Garold the owner is an RV4 builder-owner and runs a crop dusting buisness. Great guy!
Good Flying!
Ryan

You might also check out Farris airstrip at Faucet, Mo just south of St Joseph I have never been in there but the contact information is in airnav I believe. When my parents lived in Savanah I used to use Worth just NE but the old boy who used to put me up there passed away several years ago and I have no Idea if his family is still there or if someone else has the strip. Mound city (crop care is a little far north at probably 40 miles north on I29 but Garold the owner is an RV4 builder-owner and runs a crop dusting buisness. Great guy!
Good Flying!
Ryan
Ryan, Thanks for the info. Cameron looks like a good option but it looks like I am going to be stuck with Rosecrans this trip. Maybe on future trips I can fly into Cameron. Their fuel is a full $1 cheaper. At these prices that is becoming a crucial decision point.

Steve, Iam about 30 miles from St Joe, but am friends with some
aviators there. Richard Wright lives in St Joe and is a homebuilder
and lives just off of Frederick on the east side. His #1 816 232 7839
I am sure he could help. Another rv er Greg Starkel has his 8 there
and could probably help also, but I don't have his number. If no luck
call me and I'll get some more numbers for you. MY name is Greg Davis
785 741 1776 They have several nice large hangers there, I'm sure
you can be get your plane in. Have a great trip!!

[/I]

Wx scrubbing this trip

Thanks for those who replied but it looks like rain and Thunderstorms are going to scrub this trip to St. Joe for this weekend. We will be making trips in the future for sure so Greg or anyone else in the area please drop me a line sometime. I will stay in touch and make plans for a later trip.

20 miles south

I am 20 miles due south of St Joe. Currently building an RV9A. 2640ft airstrip, "Starr",:) is charted. Free hanger space. 816-678-9662
Tim

I am 20 miles due south of St Joe. Currently building an RV9A. 2640ft airstrip, "Starr",:) is charted. Free hanger space. 816-678-9662
Tim
Thanks for the invite. I will keep your info handy for the next time we plan to make it up.

Back