What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flying to Cañon City, CO.

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
My wife and I and another couple (flying a Grumman Tiger) are planning a trip to Canyon City, CO over Labor Day weekend. We are planning to leave out on Friday, September 2 and return on Monday, September 5.

Are there any RV guys in the Canyon City area? We are hoping to be able to hangar our airplanes for the weekend but will tie down if necessary. We have contacted the FBO at Fremont County Airport. They have been helpful but I thought I would post here on the chance someone from there might be of assistance. Any information would be helpful.

Canon City

Cant help with a hanger but low chance of severe weather that time of year.

Watch out and listen for sky divers.

Thanks Duane,
Yes I am aware of the sky diving activity around that airport.

After our adventure at Sun N Fun we are a bit skittish about leaving the plane outside for multiple days.

Once burned, twice shy

Understood. Lived in Canon City for a couple of years (no, not the state pen) but it has been twenty years so I lost track of whos who at the airport.

If you make it up to Salida, just 20 RV minutes up the road, I can probably help.

We are currently having afternoon and evening thunderstorms. Not sure how common hail is or if it even happens at 1V6.

On a recent trip to Michigan, I had to expand my airport search out to finally get a hangar. Just could not pay the $50 or higher a night at KAZO. So if 1V6 has no hangars, check Salida (KANK), Pueblo (KPUB) or even Colorado Springs (KCOS).

I talked to the airport manager at Salida this morning and he says they never get hail. There will be repaving work soon so verify the schedule before going there.

Last edited:
Back