What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying RV10 by the numbers

Thor RV10

IFR A Structured Approach, written by John Eckalbar is a really good book to read for IFR flying. Wondering if anyone has any details of their own they would not mind sharing regards to power settings and VS, flaps, etc for descent to minimums, maintain MDA, enroute letdowns, etc. This flying by the numbers is something worth getting pretty solid with, i think.

This has come up in the past, and might be a bit hard to search on.

I like to have at least approach flaps (10° in our plane) in right before the FAF. I run 90kts down the GS, around 11.5" and 2300RPM (which is prop forward).

Some others run 110kts and flaps 0° (just out of reflex) down the GS to make going missed easier. Those have said they drop the flaps in when they break out and it works fine. When I practice approaches to minimums (both altitude AND visibility) I find it hard to put it down on before the 1000' markers that way. We only have 3000' runways, and planning to use the 2nd 1/2 of the runway isn't high on my list in (personally) lower IFR conditions.

My personal minimums for IAPs means I'm going to break out. If I had any doubt that I might need to go missed I'd fly 100-110kts and Flaps -3° (our settings aren't "standard") so the go-around is less of a config change.

Back