What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into south TX for a Starship launch?

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Hey -

My wife and I are planning a trip in the RV-7 sometime after the end of October from the Boston area to Brownsville/SPI to see a SpaceX Starship launch, whenever that happens to be. I've never been south of San Antonio, and this will be our longest trip to date in the RV. Obviously we'll be at the mercy of weather and launch issues, but I'd appreciate any gouge from the greater VAF mind on visiting that area - good airports/FBOs, good places to stay, etc.

Live long and prosper 🖖

Dave

Hey -

My wife and I are planning a trip in the RV-7 sometime after the end of October from the Boston area to Brownsville/SPI to see a SpaceX Starship launch, whenever that happens to be. I've never been south of San Antonio, and this will be our longest trip to date in the RV. Obviously we'll be at the mercy of weather and launch issues, but I'd appreciate any gouge from the greater VAF mind on visiting that area - good airports/FBOs, good places to stay, etc.

Live long and prosper 🖖

Dave
I'm out of KIKG (Kleberg County), a little north but I used to be a KTXW (Mid-Valley). Brownsville/South Padre is the closest, Class D. It has rental cars and FBO etc. Port Isabel is also close, KPIL. It is an old Army Air Corp base (P-39s in WWII). South Padre has more of the big hotels, some with good views of the launch site. Port Isabel is more of a Winter Texan area with more reasonably price accommodations. If you get to South Padre make sure you eat at Dirty Al's, best fried shrimp ever. KPIL is just a country airport, usually not much going on, no tie down fees, etc. I haven't flown into Brownsville in a while. The border is a little confusing and it is not hard to wonder into Mexican airspace if you are not careful.

Back