What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into SLC (U42) from the northwest

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I’ll be flying into U42 from the Seattle area next week. The airspace around SLC is intimidating. Any suggestions for how to approach U42 from the northwest?

You have a few VFR options:
1. From Wendover Utah (KENV), fly east over I-80 at 7500 avoiding the restricted airspace on both sides of I-80, then along the south shore of the Salt Lake toward the Garfield Stack, then turning south and descending toward U42, all the while staying under and west of the Bravo.
2. From the north, fly south along the west side of Antelope Island to the south shore of the Salt Lake then proceed as above. We use this option when flying from KOGD to U42.
3. From the northwest, contact Salt Lake Approach on 121.1 and they'll get you in.
4. Use Flight Following the whole way.

Be advised, there is much student pilot activity west of Ogden (KOGD) and U42 and military stuff to and from Hill AFB.

You have a few VFR options:
1. From Wendover Utah (KENV), fly east over I-80 at 7500 avoiding the restricted airspace on both sides of I-80, then along the south shore of the Salt Lake toward the Garfield Stack, then turning south and descending toward U42, all the while staying under and west of the Bravo.
2. From the north, fly south along the west side of Antelope Island to the south shore of the Salt Lake then proceed as above. We use this option when flying from KOGD to U42.
3. From the northwest, contact Salt Lake Approach on 121.1 and they'll get you in.
4. Use Flight Following the whole way.

Be advised, there is much student pilot activity west of Ogden (KOGD) and U42 and military stuff to and from Hill AFB.
Used to have my RV there, +1 on Steves advice, from the northwest head towards Antelope island on the west then south, the Garfield stack is very recognizable on the point of the mountain and you can stay west in the valley by the copper mine as you work your way into the pattern. ATC is very helpful as there are a number of small airports around SLC.
Figs

Back