What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into PWK / Executive

B Cunningham

Well Known Member
I am looking to drop in at PWK with my son to visit friends in Chicago. I have looked at the airports web site and noted the VFR "course rules". For those of you who are experienced with Flying beneath the Chicago class B, (you can see by my avitar that I am not ; ) I am coming up from Kentucky and would like to fly northbound along the shoreline... Can you pass on any wisdom that you may have? Thanks!

Great Sights on a Clear Day

Coming from the South, it should be easy if you're using flight following. If not, contact Chicago Approach just south of Gary, Ind (133.1,I believe). you'll need to cross Gary above 3100. Once clearing their airspace, I'd descend to 2500 and fly the shoreline, about 1/2 to 1 mile out. Great view of the skyline. Don't cross over land, as the Class B floor shifts down. Proceed North along the lakeshore until you're abeam Northbrook VOR, OBK, on 113.0 head West to the VOR and then proceed direct to PWK. The main runway is 16/34. It's the only runway with a precision approach, so it's pretty much always the main active. Also, note if you're coming in from the North, the Class B floor is higher. I believe Chicago approach on the North end is 120.55, but you'll likely get a handoff if you're already talking with them. Don't be afraid to tell the controllers it's your first time in-I'm sure you'll find them accommodating.
Have fun. Don't forget to try the Chicago style pizza.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Make sure you get a Chicago TERMINAL AREA map. It will give you a lot more detail in an unfamiliar area. Also when flying the VFR corridor along the shore line I suggest turning on your landing light. It?s two way traffic with no centerline and not a lot of vertical room. If it?s a clear day you will love the view! Also check TFRs ? It?s the president?s home and you never know when he may just stop in.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have already seen a TFR for NE of CGT for an airshow this weekend. Which is the best RV friendly FBO for parking?

Last edited:
Chicago

You can view the charts on skyvector.com and purchase/print them online at skysectionals.com
You DO NOT need to fly offshore except for legal clearance on tall buildings in the loop area. Just plug in ORD vor and stay outside the 10 nm arc.
Signature and Atlantic are the two listed fbo's, I would count on a $20-25 ramp fee from either, fuel is 7.85/7.89

I have flown into PWK twice, both times coming from Oshkosh, staying overnight visiting a friend. Both times I used the Atlantic FBO. They were very friendly, even though I was a little guy -- Citabria, then RV-7 -- among Corporate jets mostly. It's easy to fly into from the North -- just call the Tower 10-15 miles out.

Last edited:
Back