What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into 1D2 from the south

rleffler

Well Known Member
I'm planning on flying into 1D2 (Mettetal) over the holidays from the central Ohio area.

Is there are good route to take from the south to get around DTW, YIP, and ARB? There appears to be a small gap between ARB and YIP if I stay down at 2,500. For the locals, is that advisable, or should I just fly around to the west and avoid them all? How is DTW approach to work with if you are VFR?

What's the transient parking like at Mettetal? I'm assuming that there must be at least some tie downs.

thanks,

bob

1D2 from the South

Very little chance of getting clearance into the DTW Bravo airspace, but overflying YIP is no problem, I do it all the time. DTW will provide FF if you want. They are very nice, but get busy at times as you would expect.

Parking at 1D2 is also no problem, lots of ramp spots. You may want to bring your own ropes if you want to actually tie down.

I fly thru DTW all the time, call approach and tell them you want to fly thru the cage. They will send directly over the top of DTW and thru the center. Anywhere between 3-5,000'

Or as DGlaeser stated YIP is a non issue to fly thru. So many do it to, they are very helpful as well.

Couple of the controllers (Nick and Chuck) hang out at 1D2. What days you going to be at 1D2 and for how long? Are you looking hangar space?

King

I fly thru DTW all the time, call approach and tell them you want to fly thru the cage. They will send directly over the top of DTW and thru the center. Anywhere between 3-5,000'

Or as DGlaeser stated YIP is a non issue to fly thru. So many do it to, they are very helpful as well.

Couple of the controllers (Nick and Chuck) hang out at 1D2. What days you going to be at 1D2 and for how long? Are you looking hangar space?

King

Just going up for lunch on the 29th. Don't necessarily need a hangar, but someplace to plug in the Reiff heater would be nice. That is assuming I can get Phase I done before then.

I used to be a controller a PTK, but it's been so long ago, I don't know any of the current staff anymore.

Thanks,p
Bob

EAA Chap 113 (very active chapter) is there they have a good ramp as well as the state owned and run'ed fbo.

They do not have outside outlets, but many locals will let you plug in.

EAA Chap 113
Dave Buck
John Maxfield (sonex), (248) 705-4859, avee8rrr (@) yahoo (dot) com
Sean Crooks (Champ, RV10-building) (734) 516-9939 urcapt (@) hotmail (dot) com

They know me, tell them its ok to us my hangar (C13) if you so choose too. I would show up, but work and life has me far, far away

Maxfield, flew out of PTK for 30-35 years. 1st with Chrysler then Pentastar then a pvt 91 gig

Back