What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly "Bye"

We have a GIII on our field also and it is FAST!!! He spent almost double on it (as us) though <g>. And he can't land on grass. :D

That is fast, though.

I have 2 good friends who have Glasair IIIs. They love them.
Come to think of it neither has ever visited me at my 1500' strip except for a fly-by.

Like Doug Says

As a speed demon, I looked at the G3 and found it not a workable solution for me. It's small, cramped, the spar carry through is less than ideal in it's placement, and it was expensive. I will sacrifice some speed to keep the space, comfort and decreased expense.

Since I have started building I have also come to appreciate the ease of metal construction v. composite. I'm really glad that I am not working with composites in my basement workshop. I am happy to sacrifice the sexier lines of the G3 and such planes in order to decrease my exposure to epoxy.

To each his own. If I were to buy something pre-built and money was no object, I would probably buy a sexy glass plane like a Lancair or even a Cirrus. Since money is an object I am very happy with my choice, and I am sure I will be thrilled once it is flying.

Yeah...

I like my 6 ALOT, and the RV's have many advantages over most other designs, but I will reserve judgement on the G3 till I get to fly it (which will be real soon I hope :D).

Got a friend with a GIII...fast and uncomfortable. Its narrower than the RV, no wiggle room for your feet. He also has a 6A, and it gets flown 100 hours for every hour the Glasair flies. That tells you something right there.

I've always thought the G3 was one of the most beautiful, sexy homebuilt planes ever. I still remember watching Bob Herendeen do his aerobatic routine at OSH way back about 87 or so. Wow!

I don't know about the practicality of the plane, and I don't think I could ever have an airplane that was fast enough, but the G3 would be a step in the right direction.

Funny you mention Bob Herendeen. The plane in the video that my friend purchased was originally owned by Bob Herendeen.
The N number is N111BH

I've always thought the G3 was one of the most beautiful, sexy homebuilt planes ever. I still remember watching Bob Herendeen do his aerobatic routine at OSH way back about 87 or so. Wow!

I don't know about the practicality of the plane, and I don't think I could ever have an airplane that was fast enough, but the G3 would be a step in the right direction.

Come on Jim we will just hang a couple jet pods under the wings of Little red thing and away ya go;)
Hope to see you this weekend

PIREP

I got to fly the G3 this evening. As many have mentioned the seating is a bit "different" than the RV. Your legs kind of rest on the floor. I am the FAA's so called standard pilot and weigh 170 lbs, and I am just shy of 6' tall. For me, the G3 fit pretty nice but there is absolutely nowhere to put your feet except on the rudder pedals. G3 visibility in a turn is very limited compared to the view out of the RV. The G3 has a very spunky roll rate and felt a bit heavier in roll than the RV. Pitch and yaw forces in the G3 seemed pretty close to my 6. This particular G3 was built for Bob Herendeen and is equiped with spades and longer than standard ailerons. All in all it is an awesome plane and a real speed demon.

It was a boat load a fun to fly, but I aint givin up my RV just yet!

Back