What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting VS ribs?

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
After a search I didn't see any mention of this, but has anyone needed to flute the ribs on their vertical stab? We were able to cleco the skin to the structure, but not without some difficulty, and looking at the leading edge, there was no doubt exactly where the ribs were. To say there was deformation makes it sound worse than it looked, but it still gives me pause.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it not even a problem and I should press on?

Thanks!

Jeff,
I don't recall fluting the VS ribs as the rivet holes were pretty much aligned (and I'm guessing you are really referring specifically to the nose ribs). But IIRC they were a still a tight fit and took some effort to get the skin on even after trimming the forward nose rib flanges so that they wouldn't dent the skin.

However, there's nothing wrong if you need to flute to help with alignment. You can check by either stretching a string down the rivet line from the aft most hole to the forward most hole see how straight the line is or lay the the rib flat on table (flanges pointing up) and flute until it lays flat. In any event, you'll still have to work to get the skin on.

Sounds like I am about two weeks ahead of you in the build process.

In reading other build logs the general agreement seemed to be you would need to trim the front of the ribs to prevent the buldge in the skin you are seeing.

E

I didn't feel the need for fluting VS ribs. I tried fluting elevator counterbalance ribs but only made it worse than it was.

Link didn't work

But I was able to pull it out when I started to quote your reply. Let's see if this works:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51247&highlight=flange+straightener

Thanks for the info.

On an unrelated note, I was putting away stuff from a painting project so I'd have room to work on the plane, and it dawned on me the doorbell wasn't working. Traced it to a bad transformer, so off to Lowe's I went. I had a tough time finding the CB to kill power to the doorbell. The couple that were labeled like they might work didn't. So I turned off several that were in close proximity and killed the power using the shotgun method.

I said to my wife that's precisely why we need to be sure we make a detailed wring diagram for the plane.

She said, "But doesn't the plane come with a wiring diagram?"

That's why I love her. She's FUNNNY! :D

I didnt flute mine and all went fine. I just finished assembly of the tail cone and those I had to flute. Holes wouldnt line up until I did. I fluted on the HS also. Light fluting on HS none on Vertical.

Good times!!

Back