What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting the HS ribs

jdeas

Well Known Member
Guys,
Has anyone got a photo of a properly fluted HS rib? I am working on mine tonight for the first time. Is it appropriate to use a light flute between every hole in an effort to get the web to lay flat on the table? Do you bend the flange to 90 Deg before doing any fluting?

:confused:

fluting

Just flute as required to lay the edges flat. I didn't need to flute between "every" hole. Oh, and just a tip: deburr before you flute...it's just easier. The angle of the flange shouldn't change too much right out of the box.
my .02 cents (Canadian) :D

If you want to get together, let me know and I can take a look at them. If I remember, I fluted between each hole, very lightly on the nearly flat aft areas, and increased the flute depth as the curve got greater near the leading edge.

Fluting between each hole

JD you asked Is it appropriate to use a light flute between every hole in an effort to get the web to lay flat on the table?

That's what I did, and they came out just fine.

A couple of things that worked for me... first, laying the ribs flat on the table didn't seem as accurate as laying a straight edge across the holes (pick a tangent point, eg hole bottoms).

And second, like it says in the Van's instructions, use a hand seamer to squash some of the arc out of the flutes if they are overly fluted.

good luck

Thanks for the help guys. After sleeping on it I tried using a rivet fan! Just set one Cleo and you can shift the fan out of the way to flute and back again to check! With Vans prepunched holes I see pefect circles when done.
* No, the rib below is not finished yet....
Even better, Cleco both ends. There is room between the fan fingers to flute.

0113070958vs1.jpg

Last edited:
once

yes i did flute between every hole...on some other parts i fluted 2 or three time between holes. i feel the fluting between every hole requires a lighter flute and more evenly flattens it back out. some parts are so close to staright though 1 every other hole is ok.

I start at the center and work out on either side until they are flat, one every other hole usually, occationally more. I don't sweat fluting that much.

Back