What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting the fuselage formers

Chappyd

Well Known Member
I just started on the fuse, and have finished up the firewall, main center section and the f-705 rear spar/behind the seat section, and was looking forward to breezing through the rest of the formers. F-706 appears to be one twisted flimsy piece of metal. After toying ,fluting, seaming, cursing, etc,etc. it is laying sorta flat, but not real flat. The rest of the formers don't seem nearly as bad, and they have inside formed edges and a relieved area to stiffen them up. Just how fussy should I be with F-706, the 3 pc former??

The 706 should be fluted as flat as you can get it. Mine is heavily fluted. But as you noted, it's also quite flimsy and with the matched-hole tooling, it will end up being a good fit with the fuse, as well as the gusset above and the stringers. I wouldn't obsess over it too much.

I wouldn't sweat it. The matched holes will ensure proper alignment of the three piece former. You won't have to fuss with the flanges until fitting the skin, so if it is more of less flat now that should be plenty good enough. The baggage bulkhead will keep it flat, eventually.

Just did this one and yes it is a flimsy, flimsy part. The fluting of the flanges helped the most. I had to do some fluting on the inside radius of the cutouts. I would start with the flanges because that had the most effect.
2003085796368764884_rs.jpg

Static line?

Brian,

Where is the hole for the static line that goes on the pilot side of the plane?

Fearless said:
Brian,

Where is the hole for the static line that goes on the pilot side of the plane?
At the time this pic was taken, I had not drilled it yet. Also notice the two missing rivets at the bottom center. :p

Don't forget that these flanges do not get bent to 90 degrees due to the tail cone taper. :)

Great picture though

I'm getting ready to rivet this up tonight - thanks for the picture. I did make the notches in the ribs and reinforcement plate for the snap bushings at the bottom.

Back