What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flush riveter surface issues

datsclark

I just about finished the HS completely. For the most part, all is going very smoothly. One point was really driven home: I love the pneumatic squeezer!

I did have some issues with the flush rivet head leaving scuff marks on the aluminum surface. It looks like the flush rivet head is slightly pocked. I've been pretty good about keeping the surfaces clean before riveting. In the end I used a piece of tape between the surfaces which did help.

Any suggestions on this? Do I need to polish the flush rivet head somehow?

I'll post up some pictures when I get home this evening. Pictures will help no doubt :)

You can pull the rubber boot off and polish on your scotchbrite wheel. But most of the problem is technique. You REALLY have to concentrate to get the gun to sit still while riveting. If your not doing a polished plane, fahgehtahboutit! Your going to scratch the thing up later to prime and paint anyways. Those little scratches your getting now are not big deal.

once you get a steady hand try the fixed set.....you wont believe the control you will have, especially on rounded surfaces. the swivel tends to lean stuff over for me.. on the down side the fixed set is less forgiving, but all the slipping goes away up to the point that you screw up.

tape works good but like kahuna said, unless your gonna polish its kinda a waste.

I've done a good job keeping the rivet gun still. It more seems to just be the banging that is creating the scuff marks. They (for the most part) look to be stationary.

Although as you guys are saying, I may be make much ado about nothing here.

You can pull the rubber boot off and polish on your scotchbrite wheel.

And if that sounds too aggressive for you, just take a scotchbrite pad and polish the rivet set surface by hand. Works fine. But indeed, scuffing as you describe is pretty normal and usually not to worry about.

Back