What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flow Transducer brackets

Do which transducer install do you guys want

• Produce the brackets for the flow divider location

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • use the RV10/14 location near the mech fuel pump

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello all---, As you are aware we removed our flow transducer brackets from the website and sales a few months ago. This mainly had to do with the Bendix/Avstar version, not the AirFlow Performance version. So, since alot of you are asking about them, I feel that I need to let you know the issues and the choice of solutions.

Before Steve and I first decided to make this bracket system, we were just using our fittings to hang the transducer at the flow divider. We had several years and quite a few customers with it with no issues. Around 2019, Chris Hrabe inquired about a stabilizing bracket for his install. Several of us (thanks Dan!) came up with a temporary solution, with the intent on a more permanent piece. Bending a steel or aluminum 2 piece bracket wasnt repeatable, so we decided to use the CNC Mills and make this from bar stock. Steve did the CAD drawings from the concept we created, 3D printed it and sent it to me for fit testing. After several adjustments, it became the final version that we produced.

After feedback from clients, on the next production run we made a couple of minor changes to make installation easier. More specifically, the side slot to make tightening the aft bolt a bunch easier. With few little dimensional changes to the inside as well, we did another production run.

Fast forward, we began to get some feedback that the brackets werent fitting as advertised. Long story short, apparently Lycoming, or their supplier, changed the bend location of the lower section, versus the original we had, which threw off our dimensions. So we changed the drawings to reflect the changes to make it fit, did a 3D model for testing, and were going to do another production run. That was around OSH time. Since then, well quite a few things have transpired.

WE have some concerns about doing another run on these. We can control our dimensions, but not those of the bent steel flow divider mounting bracket. WE can make our bracket fit the newer version I bought, but who's to say that those that come on your engines match the new one I have? Also- I reached out to a very respected fuel systems engineer to get some dimensional data on the Avstar flow dividers, so to make sure they are the same as the Bendix I'm using. If not, then all bets are off.

So here is the poll? Does the VAF community want us to produce these brackets, or go with our RV10/14 location near the left lower Dynafocal mount cup on the engine mount?

Tom

Attachments

• Avstar no bracket.JPG
    Avstar no bracket.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 124
  • LYC FINAL BRACKET.jpg
    LYC FINAL BRACKET.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 98
  • new bracket differences.jpg
    new bracket differences.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 83
  • RV10 FWF install.jpg
    RV10 FWF install.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 116
Terry---its the defference in mounting the transducer at the flow divider with our bracket, or using the our lower RV10/14 FWF location.
As you know the original RV10 location was in the tunnel, the RV14 was under cylinder 4. The 4, 6, 7, 8 & 9s werent originally equipped with the transducers. They were all builder installs.
Tom

Tom, I am posting just as a data point. I have installed your bracket last fall (2022) on the 14A, IO390 EXP. It was a little tight to get the bottom bolt in place but it did fit.

Transducer bracket

I have no dog in the hunt. I installed the latest bracket on the divider. No problem. I did need a shim. If I can build an airplane. Shim is no biggie.

Back