What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flop tube failure?

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
Has anyone had a flop tube hang up or malfunction in any way? I decided to install a single flop tube in the left tank and keep the standard ridged pickup in the right. My thought is to keep a simple reliable system to use for takeoff and landings and have the flop tube in the left side for hanging inverted in the straps. Do most builders put one or two flop tubes in their airplanes? Am I overthinking this?

Bob Markert
Littleton Colorado
RV-8 Slooooow build

Am I overthinking this?

No but you may be under thinking it.
Since you don't mention the configuration of your engine, we have no way of knowing...

A flop tube is of no value unless you have a neg. G capable fuel delivery system (fuel injection or some type of pressure carb.)

If you use a carburetor it is absolutely worthless (other than causing you additional maint. in the future).
Even if you do have an inverted capable fuel delivery system, it only gives you a few additional seconds unless you also have an inverted oil system.

Agreed, the flop tube is to feed the fuel injected engine with an inverted oil system. I was considering two flop tubes but it seemed like overkill. By the way, I've never read a discussion or seen an RV 8 do a knife-edge pass. How do they fly on their sides?

Back