What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flooring RV-9A

3/4" thick super soundproofing foam (bought mine from Spruce, but various vendors sell it) between the stiffeners, then one piece of carpet over the whole thing.

I did the same as Dan. The 3/4" super sound proofing is the same height as the angle floor stiffeners and the carpet sits nicely on top----light, simple, and it deadens most of the exhaust note.

Cheers,

db

db1yg said:
I did the same as Dan. The 3/4" super sound proofing is the same height as the angle floor stiffeners and the carpet sits nicely on top----light, simple, and it deadens most of the exhaust note.
db

I also used the 3/4" sound proofing between stiffener-angles with carpet over the top. I attached the carpet to the sound deadening rubber below with Velcro, but my big feet tear the Velcro adhesive loose from the rubber and scoot the carpet forward. Does anyone have a suggestion for overcoming this unsightly problem?
Leland

Yes!!

I had the same problem. I cut some pieces of .025 alum. about 1.5x4"--bent them at 90 degrees mid length--attached a plate nut on one end and riveted to the back of the vertical spar cover(close to the cover attach point for strength) on the other. The horizontal segment extends out from the bottom of the spar cover at the height of the bottom of the carpet. Use # 8 screws thru the carpet close to the spar cover--I also used #8 tinnermans under the screw head to distribute the compression. Use at least one of these on the co-pilot and one on the pilot side---looks very clean/simple and it works -- 75 hrs and even my large footed friends no longer push the carpet forward.
Sounds much more complicated than it is--but I bet you get the picture.

BTW, I really wanted to use some of those reinforcing metal rings used to strengthen holes in carpet but could not find any!

Cheers,

db

Auto Upholstery

db1yg said:

BTW, I really wanted to use some of those reinforcing metal rings used to strengthen holes in carpet but could not find any!

Cheers,

db

Just saw these at our local wholesale auto upholstery supply warehouse... I'm sure you have something similar in a near-by city....

WalMart also had them for smaller holes in fabric, but seemed too thin for carpet - Crafts Dept.

gil in Tucson

Bailey's Upholstery Supplies near the S end of Oracle for the Tucson guys...

Thanks Gil!! The info available from this list is amazing.

I will be on the hunt next week.

Cheers,

db

db1yg said:
Yes!!

I had the same problem. I cut some pieces of .025 alum. about 1.5x4"--bent them at 90 degrees mid length--attached a plate nut on one end and riveted to the back of the vertical spar cover(close to the cover attach point for strength) on the other. The horizontal segment extends out from the bottom of the spar cover at the height of the bottom of the carpet. Use # 8 screws thru the carpet close to the spar cover--I also used #8 tinnermans under the screw head to distribute the compression. Use at least one of these on the co-pilot and one on the pilot side---looks very clean/simple and it works -- 75 hrs and even my large footed friends no longer push the carpet forward.
Sounds much more complicated than it is--but I bet you get the picture.
Well, I am indeed trying to picture it but not sure I have an exact mental picture. Is there any chance you could post a picture?

foam not good

Foam is flammable and toxic when it burns. Jute burns far less toxic. The best padding is thick wool felt. It's highly fire resistant. Your rug and mat should be easily removable for cleaning and drying, but it should not get tangled in your ruddr pedals.

Back