What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floorboard Nutplates

carrollcw

Well Known Member
Regarding attaching the floorboard that is underneath the seats to the ribs below, the instructions say to install nutplates to the ribs. However, the plans only show nutplates on the 2 center most ribs and along the front of the floor. Additionally, only those 2 ribs are predrilled for nutplate installation. It would appear that all the other ribs do not attach to the floorboard although there are predrilled holes in both the floorboard and the ribs. Am I correct that the only nutplates to install are on the 2 inner most ribs? Seems strange that the other ribs are left unattached.

BTW, this is a QB.

Thanks!

Look more carefully at drawing 25.

Use rivets on aft seat floors # F-742 except where you noted the nutplates.

F-739s are held by screw and nutplates.

If you're referring to the aft seat floors (F-742-L & R), they get riveted down except for the front and interior ribs. Those locations get platenuts to fasten down the tunnel cover and forward seat floors (F-739 and F-740). Don't forget you must fasten the hinge plates which hold the seat backs in position. Bill (RV-7 finishing F.F. and avionics)

Yes, I am referring to the aft seat floors. So does that mean the exterior ribs are pop riveted to the floorboard? Also, are the nutplates on the inner ribs riveted to both the ribs and the floorboard? I thought that the floorboard screwed down to those ribs.

I am guessing the answer is yes, because the floorboard in those locations is predrilled the same way the ribs are. I though it was an error. Should have known better. Guess I'll be drilling out some rivets. Grrr.

Yes, I am referring to the aft seat floors. So does that mean the exterior ribs are pop riveted to the floorboard? Guess I'll be drilling out some rivets. Grrr.

Many make the aft seat floors and baggage floors removable by using platenuts. I didn't at the time because I was planning a basic VFR machine but plans changed and I needed access so I ended up drilling out all the pop rivets and perimeter rivets and adding platenuts to every hole. Quite a job that would have been best done during construction. If you're planning an extensive panel, you may want to consider removable floors.

If you're planning an extensive panel, you may want to consider removable floors.

So why when you upgraded to an IFR machine did you suddenly need removable floors? All I can think of is to install an antenna. Would it not be sufficient to install an access plate to accommodate that need?

I am planning the same thing, start VFR and gradually upgrade.

So why when you upgraded to an IFR machine did you suddenly need removable floors?

Main reason was that my RV mentor (a Tech Counselor and 3 time RV builder) said it would be much easier to make the floor plans removable than it would be to find a place for all the wires and antenna cables.

Of course, you can always run a nice conduit or two before you rivet the floors down, and then you can pull whatever you need later on..... Or think about what might need to go back there and scar in the wires for it now. Sure, you can make the floors removable, but its a lot of nut plate work, and my experience has been that I have added stuff in the tail cones of both our -6 and -8, and didn't have to pull the floors.

Just food for thought.

Paul

Of course, you can always run a nice conduit or two before you rivet the floors down, and then you can pull whatever you need later on..... Or think about what might need to go back there and scar in the wires for it now. Sure, you can make the floors removable, but its a lot of nut plate work, and my experience has been that I have added stuff in the tail cones of both our -6 and -8, and didn't have to pull the floors.
Paul

This is what I did, before riveting my floors down. I'm happy with this arrangement. That's a lot of nutplates if you put them in. If it ever comes down to it, I can always drill out the pop rivets if I have to get in back there. But I don't think I'll ever have to.

100_7203%20(Small).JPG

Conduit sources? I have been meaning to get around to order some conduit for the last several weeks, finally went to order it yesterday. Last month it was $15.00 for a 50' roll, now it is $35.00. OK, still not a huge amount of money in the big picture, but what an increase. Does anyone have a better source?

Maybe try black irrigation hose instead. Its smooth walled and works better. If you want the Vans stuff PM me. I have a couple rolls I'll never use.

Bruce, thanks so much for the pics! That helps a ton! I think I am going to go that route. And the irrigation hose idea is brilliant!

You're welcome, Clark! Wish I could take credit for it. I stole the idea from my buddy Mike Bullock. I have more pics and details on my log page here:

Installing Conduit Under the Floor

I fabbed the brackets from some .020 stock, and pop-riveted them to the ribs. The conduit I used is the stuff from Vans typically used in the wings.

How much wire did you end up fishing through the conduit? What is the minimum diameter that would work? I have some PVC and clamps I used in the wings but they appear a little smaller.

Boy, Bruce, I wish I'd done that. One of the problems with manual trim is you run out of room to run wires down the center tunnel REALLY fast. Dangit. That's a nice installation.

How much wire did you end up fishing through the conduit? What is the minimum diameter that would work? I have some PVC and clamps I used in the wings but they appear a little smaller.

I haven't done my wiring yet, Clark, except for the small bundle of wires for the TruTrak autopilot servo. So I'm not sure yet what I'll end up with. I had some of the conduit from Vans commonly used in the wings on hand, so I went with that. I will still have the center tunnel, too, so I should be okay.

Boy, Bruce, I wish I'd done that. One of the problems with manual trim is you run out of room to run wires down the center tunnel REALLY fast. Dangit. That's a nice installation.

Thank you, Bob!

Back