What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor Panel removal for Inspection?

valsoar

I'm New Here
Bought a flying RV6 a year ago and now doing my first condition inspection with my A&P. I can't figure out how to remove the angled floor panels (the ones that slopes up and goes around the stick). The panels appear to tuck further under the fuel selector valve housing/cover assembly that I thought and I can't see a way to remove them without either (1) removing the whole fuel selector assembly or (2) bending the panel. A&P is insistant that the panel be removed to inspect spar bolts etc.

Not sure if this is a standard set-up and there's a trick to it or whether I have a slightly non standard configuration.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Alasdair Crawford

Does it...

Bought a flying RV6 a year ago and now doing my first condition inspection with my A&P. I can't figure out how to remove the angled floor panels (the ones that slopes up and goes around the stick). The panels appear to tuck further under the fuel selector valve housing/cover assembly that I thought and I can't see a way to remove them without either (1) removing the whole fuel selector assembly or (2) bending the panel. A&P is insistant that the panel be removed to inspect spar bolts etc.

Not sure if this is a standard set-up and there's a trick to it or whether I have a slightly non standard configuration.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Alasdair Crawford

...need to be removed, or are there some hard-to-see screws holding the fuel selector assembly to the front lip of the angled covers?

If you have to remove stuff, you might be able to just pull off the frame around the fuel selector (after removing the knob) leaving the valve itself and the tubes in place.

-6 builders got creative in this area...:)

Realize that your inspection is probably done by now, but should NOT have to remove fuel selector assembly to remove panels. If somehow your plane IS built that way, might as well change it now, as you'll need to get in that area at least once/year. If removing fuel selector involves disconnect of fuel lines going to it, you'll probably only do that once, a mess waiting to happen.

Back