What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

float location

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I am having a small problem installing the floats in my Rv-9A tanks. The float has a groove around one end that snaps into bent float wire . After I bent the wires and installed the floats into the tanks I noticed the float was hitting the tank stiffener on the right tank when in the empty position. The one on the left is very close to hitting also. I've gone over the drawing on bending the float wire several times and am sure I did it right. The fix is simple enough. All you have to do is snap the float out of the wire and turn it the other way. This makes the end of the float closer to the rear baffle plate instead of towards the leading edge. The only drawback might be the fuel is sloshing between the tank ribs through the hole in the bottom of the rib that is now in-line with the float. Has anyone else had a similar problem? :confused:

Jim--
Had the same problem, and came to the same conclusion as you. There was no way to point the float forward without hitting the stiffener, which would obviously provide false readings. I was told by Van's (and a number of other builders, for what it's worth) that the float can be turned either way or that the stiffener's could have been riveted in upside down to solve this problem... of course it would have been nice to know that before I riveted the stiffeners on! Also, I think that having the float pointed aft allows for more travel for the sender anyway, which should, theoretically, lead to more precise fuel measuring. I didn't ask them about the sloshing fuel issue though. Hope this helps.

Rh / Lh !!

Jim,

I have just closed my right-hand tank and did not have any problem. But.... did you put the right float in the right tank? The hole patterns (RH / LH) are different and you will end up with the float on an angle in the tank if you swap them over. Maybe that is why it is hitting the stiffener?

Everything seems to be correct. When I switch the senders nothing lines up correctly. The senders are at an angle when reversed. The way I have them they are perpendicular to the bottom of the tank as they should be. I'm glad to hear the stiffeners can be riveted on either way without sacrificing strength though. Don't ask me why I'm glad. :eek:

I think I will move on and leave them as they are. I only use fuel gages to see if I'm losing fuel in some drastic fashion, like a fuel cap not fastened. That shouldn't be nearly the problem as in a high wing though. Part of my start up check list will be to check the caps. I use glass tubes to check the fuel quantity before every flight and then go by time comparing that to what the gages say. On a Cessna you can suck both tanks dry if one cap is off. Not Good!
Thanks for the input

Jim--I just remembered that I started a link on this last summer and now found it. It includes a picture of my installation for the right tank. Another builder agreed on that thread, but I also remember talking to other builders who did the same and I remember asking Van's about it at EAA Arlington last summer and I think it was Bruce or Gus who said no problem. Again, hope this helps. Like you said, the worst case scenario is fuel tank gauges that you don't trust. There's a new one for you! :rolleyes:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2835&highlight=fuel+sender+float

Back