What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flo scan

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I could use some education. My search came up with nothing. I am preparing the fuel filter brackets and flo-scan mount to attach to the forward bottom skin of my 10. The figure calls for two different nutplates, one for the flo-scan only and one for the FT-60. Questions; 1) what is the fuel filter for ( I believe this is intuitive and I suspect to filter the fuel). 2) what is the flo-scan about 3) what is the option I need to consider between the flo-scan and the FT-60? Thank you.

There are a few threads here on VAF that discuss. Here's an example. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93820

In a nutshell, the flo-scan and FT-60 (Red cube) are sensors that monitor the flow of fuel to the engine. That info is then used to keep track of how much fuel you've used.

I'm planning to use the Red Cube myself but I don't know yet if I'll put it in the tunnel as indicated in the plans (I did put in the brackets). Many put it FWF. Apparently in the tunnel, because of its relationship to the fuel pump, it can show more fuel flow than there actually is.

-Joe

I have heard of the Red Cube. Why do folks use this rather than the flow scan? I have also been told to consider placing this in FWF to limit the leakage of fuel in the tunnel. Any thoughts on that

I'm going with the Red Cube (FT-60) mainly because it has a lower pressure drop than the Flo-Scan (analogous to an electrical resistor). Whatever you choose, make sure it's compatible with the avionics you're planning.

I think the reason some put it FWF isn't so much leaks (though maybe) as it is accuracy. I haven't gotten to my fuel plumbing yet, but I think the plans position the flow sensor in such a way that when the fuel pump is on, the flow rate measures too high. By putting the sensor FWF, i.e., closer to where the fuel is consumed, it's more accurate. If I'm wrong on these details, I hope someone will jump in with a correction.

Red Cube specs: http://www.lightflying.com.au/Stratomaster%20Manuals/Red%20Cube%20Specifications.pdf

Flo-Scan specs (I assume the 201A-6):http://www.lightflying.com.au/Stratomaster%20Manuals/Floscan%20Manual.pdf

Last edited:
I attached a photo of how I mounted the red cube FWF. No one I know of has had issues with FWF mounts between the servo and the spider, many have had issues with inconsistent fuel flow reading when mounting the sensor as Vans plans would have you, with it residing between the electric fuel pump and the suction side of the mechanical fuel pump. Mine is accurate to within 10ths of a gallon when the tanks are accurately filled on same day temperature situations.

IMG_2562.jpg

I too mounted mine FWF, same place as Bill's for a few reasons.

1) The forward location in the tunnel is very hard to service in the future. Everything needs maintenance some day.

2) Removing it from the tunnel made 2 less flare fittings and connections that could leak.

3) The manufacturer of the cube has several locations where it can be mounted, and before the mechanical fuel pump is ok, but in talking to them, it can be less accurate. For me, item #1 was more important and extra accuracy wasn't too bad either.

I will say I did not mount mine the same as Bill's though. FDataSystems recommended that the cube NOT be rigidly attached to the engine. So for me it is free floating between the mixture body and the spider and the hose itself supports the cube per their recommendations. I did use some firesleeve over the cube as well.

Details for mounting at http://www.fdatasystems.com/Manuals/FT_60_install.pdf

Last edited:
I will say I did not mount mine the same as Bill's though. FDataSystems recommended that the cube NOT be rigidly attached to the engine. ]

Not true anymore. I had the same conversation with them a couple of years ago when we did our -3, and was told that they have changed the design of the bearings which were the cause of the "don't expose it to engine vibration" warnings. They now are completely happy with mounting the cube on the engine - so long as it is a recent (ours is three years old, and it was "recent") unit.

red cube

They make a couple different cubs. The cube a person needs depends on hp and if the motor has a fuel pump or gravity feed. The io-540 with fuel pump and 260+ hp puts it in the catagory of a certain cube and just so happens that it is red. Thus the red cube. My motor for my rv-10 just got here last friday and I am also putting a new motor in my super cub and installed a cube in it and it was a gold cub, gravity feed and only 180 hp motor.

Not true anymore. I had the same conversation with them a couple of years ago when we did our -3, and was told that they have changed the design of the bearings which were the cause of the "don't expose it to engine vibration" warnings. They now are completely happy with mounting the cube on the engine - so long as it is a recent (ours is three years old, and it was "recent") unit.

Interesting, the link I have above to their manual dated in March 2013 still shows an item about not mounting to the engine.

I have much to learn about engine and cube selection as presently I am working in the fuselage tunnel. In general I am planning on purchasing a fuel injected IO 540 from Van's, whatever its specifics may be. I assume I will need the 'red' cube and plan to mount it FWF for all the good reasons pointed out in this thread. I still have the anatomical terms to learn and their positions in the engine compartment, ie spider, mechanical pump, etc. I can follow instructions, have minimal engine knowledge, but I don't shy away from learning new things.

No worries, when I started this project, my experience with an engine was like most "pilots". I knew where it was, I could identify where the dipstick was and I thought I knew how to start it. End of story.

When the time comes, you will learn a lot about your engine.

I have much to learn about engine and cube selection as presently I am working in the fuselage tunnel. In general I am planning on purchasing a fuel injected IO 540 from Van's, whatever its specifics may be. I assume I will need the 'red' cube and plan to mount it FWF for all the good reasons pointed out in this thread. I still have the anatomical terms to learn and their positions in the engine compartment, ie spider, mechanical pump, etc. I can follow instructions, have minimal engine knowledge, but I don't shy away from learning new things.

Most of the EFIS vendors will sell you the red cube when you purchase their engine monitoring package. At least in the AFS manuals, it will explain how to install the device. I can't speak to the other vendors, since I don't have any experience.

Most of the EFIS vendors have their manuals online, so at least you can grab from your favorite vendor and do some advance reading.

I plan to go with AFS so I will work with Rob. I understand the connection with Dynon

If I remember correctly, Rob has a photo of where he located the cube on his RV-10. If it isn't in the manual, it's on the AFS support forum.

Back