What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightline Interior trim strips

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
For those with a Flightline Interior, does anyone have any closeup pics of the window trim installed? The instructions really don't say how to place it and I'm guessing it's supposed to be on the sill right up to the edge of the cutout, but not sure that looks right.

I don't have a photo of my install and won't be at the hanger for a few days. Here is what I did and am pleased with the results. The trim welt is sewn together between the two piping's. I used that as a reference point and placed the sewing seam on the corner of the fiberglass where it meets the window and hot glued it down a couple inches at a time holding it in place while the glue cooled. My welt looked to have two different size piping's so the larger side went next to the window. I glued the flat side down as that side "looked" like the unfinished side. I put the glue right on the corner in about a 1/8" bead and folded the welt piping down holding it in place so when it cooled, the one welt piping was touching the transparency and the other folded over onto the fiberglass part.

I don't have a photo of my install and won't be at the hanger for a few days. Here is what I did and am pleased with the results. The trim welt is sewn together between the two piping's. I used that as a reference point and placed the sewing seam on the corner of the fiberglass where it meets the window and hot glued it down a couple inches at a time holding it in place while the glue cooled. My welt looked to have two different size piping's so the larger side went next to the window. I glued the flat side down as that side "looked" like the unfinished side. I put the glue right on the corner in about a 1/8" bead and folded the welt piping down holding it in place so when it cooled, the one welt piping was touching the transparency and the other folded over onto the fiberglass part.

I like your approach. Is there any particular advantage to using hot glue vs contact cement? I have access to both but no experience with glueing fabric.

Glue. FWIW

I had to replace mine. It seemed to shrink and pull away at the corners. It was originally done with contact cement. My first attempts to fix the older piping was with hot glue and it would work for a while. Abby was fairly adamant that contact cement was a better way to go. When I replaced mine with newer piping I used contact cement, the gel kind as recommended. It seems better. Probably operator error.

Pictures

Here a a couple photos of how I installed my welt trim strips around the windows. I used hot melt glue for a permanent bond. The hot melted glue will partially soak into the fabric before it cools making the bond semi permanent. Don't over due it as you might then get squeeze out and hot glue is hard on the fingers! Its hard to see the break between the door covering fabric and the welt but its at the bottom of the photo here below the stitch line of the welt trim. Looking at the door/window from inside.
2013-09-04135920.jpg

Here is a view looking from the outside of the plane. Half of the welt lays against the transparency.
2013-09-04135938.jpg

Last edited:
Back