What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlightLine AC baffle mod pictures

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Anyone out there with FlightLine Air Conditioning's pilot-side mounted alternator bracket, with pictures of how they modified the front pilot-side inlet ramps on the baffling to go around it? Would help me figure this out a lot.

Thanks,
Dwight

I'm not nearly that far, but the word I got from a builder in Sedona (I don't think Tom frequents these fora) is that your best bet is to go with the Sam James cowl with this system. Since I was planning that anyway, I just filed it in the back of my head and never asked what the fit problems were with the stock cowl and the Flightline A/C.

Today is YOUR LUCKY Day!!

I'm right at the stage and as a matter of fact, just sent pictures to Will James of SJ Cowl, talked with John Stein of FlightlineAC by phone on Friday and this is not what I was expecting for my project. The compressor will be RIGHT in the way of the plenum for sure and looks like we'll have to cut the intake ring greatlly and still make a mod or bubble in the lower cowl to make it work,,,, real BUMMER!! I'm not smart enough to attach pictures, but I have some.

Kenny Gene

Attach pictures

I just read the link from Scott Schmidt on how to post pictures, however I looked down at the lower left side and it shows that I MAY NOT post attachments? Is this the same thing?

Send me a PM and I'll email jpeg pictures directly as I'm trying to figure my way out of this one!!

Kenny Gene

Vans Cowl

Sorry, should have been more specific, I'm working with the standard Van's cowl. I've seen the pictures of the SJ plenum and cowl, sure looks a bit easier but not an option.

Dwight

I have had the Flightline AC system installed and flying for about a year and a half. Sorry I don't have any photo's of my baffle mods. The intake ramp baffling required quite a bit of chopping to make it all fit. I was never too pleased with the results.
As a result of a failure of the idler pulley bearing on the compressor side, I am in the process of installing the new Flightline AC setup that puts the alternator back on the right side with a standard mount, and brings the compressor over to the left side. I am waiting for the new compressor and mount, so don't know what kind of issues I will have on the left side. Should get the kit in the next day or two.
I am re-making the right side baffle with the new alternator installation and it will be a standard setup on the right side. I am hoping the compressor (left side) setup will be pretty much standard as well. This new mounting system has done away with the idler pulleys for belt tension. I think that will be a nice improvement.
I have the Van's cowl, but have a cooling plenum installed.

Narrow Deck?

Thanks David. Do you happen to have a narrow-deck engine? I've got the added trouble of a narrow-deck engine, which seems to have slightly different mounting locations up front and my compressor bracket, on the right, won't fit. Flightline wants $250 to switch to the newer style you mention, but I don't know for sure IT will fit and it still looks like it requires a lot of baffle mods, so I think I am just going to grin and bear it. But if someone confirms the switch will work with a narrow-deck, I might switch too, especially given your failure on the idler.

Otherwise, have to make my own custom compressor bracket or an adapter. Don't have a milling machine, but think I can borrow one locally maybe. Anyway, it's been more custom work than I would have expected, disappointing. Pictures would help, but it's not too complicated and I'll probably just end up changing it with a custom plenum of my own.

If anyone has pictures, I'll still take them for added help.
Dwight

Dwight,
Sorry I did not respond sooner. I do have a narrow deck engine and did not have any particular issues with the original brackets. I am in the process of installing the new compressor bracket on the left side and it involves a lot more "hangar engineering" than I hoped. My "one or two week" project is now over three weeks and I suspect I am realistically looking at a couple of more weeks. If I can find some old photo's of my original install, I will email or PM them to you.

Back