What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightdek D180

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
FINISHED INSTALLING THE AVIONICS TWO DAYS AGO. TODAY I WAS INSTALLING THE FLOOR PLATES AND SEAT BELTS.
WHILE SCREWING IN THE FLOOR PLATES I HAPPEN TO NOTICE THE THE D-180 WAS ON!!I DON'T HAVE ANY POWER INSTALLED.ALL SWITCHES WERE OFF. EVEN TRIED PULLING THE FUSE. NO LUCK.
I HAD TO REMOVE THE UNIT AND DISCONNECT THE BACKUP BATTERY.
ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT HAS HAPPENED.
I DID PLUG THE BATTERY BACK IN MOMENTARILY AND THE UNIT DID NOT COME ON AGAIN.
SURE DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS.
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP.

GARY KRAUSE

Did you press and hold the button on the left side? You were running off battery power, but the above will shut it down. Also you can set it up so it powers itself down when the ships power is removed.

I had that happen too. I think one of the cables that you plug in ends up turning the D180 or something. Turning off the D180 is easy in this situation: Hold down the left button for 5 seconds with all warnings dismissed, and the D180 will turn off.

You bumped the left button

I HAPPEN TO NOTICE THE THE D-180 WAS ON!!I
You accidentally bumped the left most button on the D-180 which turns it on. To shut it off, press and hold the left button.
Joe

D180 On/Off

All you have to do is touch the left hand button on the D180 and it powers up on the internal battery (assuming the battery is charged). It sounds like you inadvertently touched the button with some part of your body when working in the cockpit.
To power the unit down, you must clear any alarms showing on the screen and then hold the left button down until it goes off.

Tony

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. I WAS IN HOPES IT WAS SOMETHING SIMPLE.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO REPLIED.

GARY

stop SHOUTING!

You are welcome. And stop SHOUTING! (Typing in capitals indicates shouting.) It is hurting my ears. :D
Just kidding.
Joe

Gary, The hold-the-left-button-down to power the unit off will work only if you have already thumbed off the warning flags with the far right button. At least that's how mine works...

Jim

A related question, does anyone know if there is a way to keep the D180 from booting up every time you turn the master switch on (or avionics master, whichever it's wired to)? I'd prefer to just turn it on myself when I need it and not have it come on automatically.

Manifold Pressure versus fuel pressure

The manifold pressure gauge is displayed on the D-180 main EMS page. I would much rather have fuel pressure displayed in that prime spot. The D-180 manuals do not tell how to display fuel pressure on the main 1/3 EMS page. Is there any way to do that?
None of the planes that I have flown in the past had a manifold pressure gauge. Having had no experience with manifold pressure, the numbers are meaningless to me. Is there a certain pressure that I should be looking out for?
Wouldn't it be better to have fuel pressure in my instrument scan rather than manifold pressure?
Joe

Joe,

I agree the manifold pressure is of limited use when you have a fixed pitch prop. It would definitely be nice to be able to customize that display, but I have a sneaking feeling that it is fixed. Check with Mike at Dynon.

John

Separate toggle switch would work. I don't know of a way to do it internally but I'm not intimately familiar with all the 180 can do.

greg

A related question, does anyone know if there is a way to keep the D180 from booting up every time you turn the master switch on (or avionics master, whichever it's wired to)? I'd prefer to just turn it on myself when I need it and not have it come on automatically.

Back