What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightcom 403 intercom problem

Bud K

Well Known Member
Flew my RV-7 to California this week and experienced an intercom problem. During a nature stop in Big Bear, I experienced an intercom problem. When I pushed the PTT switch, the volume in the headset was VERY loud. Normal volume levels in the intercom with my wife and listening to approach, however, when I transmit, booming volume. I have the intercom volume all the way down. I have a Flightcom 403 intercom, QT Halo headsets, with a Garmin GNC 250 NavCom.
:confused:

Check that the com's sidetone level has not somehow increased.

I have the Flightcom 403 manual but can't find anywhere to adjust the sidetone level.

I went flying today and tried a few things. I tried different headsets (another QT Halo and a David Clark H10-30) and even with only a single headset with no difference. When I toggle the ICS switch to isolate the pilot, my transmit volume level is normal. When I switch to 'ICS', my transmit volume is very loud. All this with the intercom volume turned all the way down (full CCW).

I'll call Flightcom tomorrow and see what insight they can offer.

Wrong box

The sidetone level (this is when you hear yourself transmitting) is adjusted in a menu on the Garmin GNC 250.

It's the intercom

I went flying and used the isolate switch. When I isolate, the volume is normal. When I switch back to allow the passenger to hear normal communications, the volume during transmissions is very loud. I called Flightcom and they say that it is definitely the intercom. $100 minimum service charge. Or, just buy a new intercom.

Ditch the Flightcom 403 and buy a PS Engineering PM3000. It's a greatly superior intercom. Yeah, it costs a lot more $$$ but it's worth it in sound quality and independent mic vox operation.

Ditch the Flightcom 403 and buy a PS Engineering PM3000. It's a greatly superior intercom. Yeah, it costs a lot more $$$ but it's worth it in sound quality and independent mic vox operation.

The 3000 is a good unit but it does not have the "Intelivox" mic operation like their audio panels have. The 3000 has a single knob that controls squelch levels of both mics.

Last edited:
The 3000 has a single knob that controls squelch levels of both mics.

Single squelch knob yes... but still separate squelch circuits for each mic input so that when one mic opens the squelch, it only passes audio from that one mic and not all mics simultaneously like simpler intercoms that share one single squelch gate for all mics.

From PSE's webpage on the PM3000 "A single squelch control knob for multiple squelch circuits provides simplified operation as well as making the intercom one of the quietest to use, even in the noisiest of airplanes."

Good point, I was mixing "Intelivox" (which the 3000 does not have) vs "vox".

And I agree, the PM3000 (which I have my own aircraft) is a much better unit than the 403.

Last edited:
Dynon Intercom?

I was thinking of the new Dynon intercom. Anyone have any experience with that yet? I have been thinking about upgrading to Skyview in the future and it may be a good compliment to that suite.

Back