What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight to Smoketown

wera710

Well Known Member
Took a little trip to Smoketown Airport (S37) PA. RV-9, RV-12 and RV-8. Saw a beautiful Bald Eagle enroute at 2100 feet. Did not hit it thank god, which is more than we can say for a friend who took out a flock of geese in his immaculate T-34 on Saturday. But I digress.

If you are in or near South Eastern PA, Smoketown aiport, generally, has decent fuel pricing but more importantly, it has a little secret just outside the airport. A tiny little, red brick restaurant. Hidden behind the big tan hanger with the white fence on the south side (FBO side) of the runway, this place has a great menue and is a favorite of the local pilots. Just park in the grass by the white fence. Look south. Walk to the east end of the tan hanger. Go south. Contemplate the growing pile of old used aircraft tires. Walk further across a macadam lot and out to Route 23. Look Left. There it sits. Inexpensive, yet really good food. We had a thanksgiving sandwich for $5.00 that was piled high with turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes.

Now if you are wondering why I am posting this, it’s because Dave V., the RV-12 guy, couldn’t wait to get another photo of his recently completed (in only 11 months!) RV-12 on VAF one more time! Seriously, the boy just LOVES seeing that thing on “TV”. :D Vlad, you had better watch out because the man is on a mission. He almost has his 40 hours flown off and once the gates are open, you’ll find him dogging you all over the planet!

DSC_0658.JPG

Marks RV-9. Resolution not so good. I was flying solo and trying to shoot film. Not a good idea!

DSC_0692.JPG

And my own RV, wondering if it will be able to lift me aloft after that lunch! :D

RV0661.jpg

Last edited:
Please behave . . .

And Tony, this is one that you will want to pick up the tab. Save Vlad's turn for Bay Bridge:D

Parts for Vlad

Tony when you are there and if Mark is not along for the fly-in please help Vlad pick out a few tires. I sure he will appreciate the help it.

Mark found one for him, but not sure if that one will be there once you guys arrive. ;)

vlads tires.jpg

Tony when you are there and if Mark is not along for the fly-in please help Vlad pick out a few tires. I sure he will appreciate the help it.

Mark found one for him, but not sure if that one will be there once you guys arrive. ;)

vlads tires.jpg

David you are the man! My nose wheel tire still looks brand new but mains got only 1,000 landings left on them :D

Vlad

Vlad the whole VAF community is here for you! Sorry you are going to miss the 13th, but have a great trip.

Back