What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Restrictions at 52F????

DBone

Well Known Member
I was checking the local area for a upcoming flight review and noticed NOTAM's at 52F that jumped out at me.

11/346 Aerodrome Landing Fees For Non Based Aircraft Contact 817-430-1905. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:10 2009
11/347 Aerodrome Operations PROHIBITED ULTRALIGHTS With OR WITHOUT REGISTRATION Numbers, POWERED PARACHUTES, SAILPLANES, Gliders, AUTOGYROS, SKY DIVING, AG Operations, Balloons, Airships, Non Certificated Aircraft. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:10 2009
11/348 Aerodrome Closed Non Based Flight SCHOOLS Except WRITTEN Prior Permission Required. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:11 2009
11/349 Aerodrome Banner Towing PROHIBITED Except WRITTEN Prior Permission Required Contact 817-430-1905 24 Hours IN Advance For SAFETEY Brief. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:11 2009

Aren't all these (except the landing fee) against FAA regs? Is this a knee-jerk reaction to an incident out there? I never like to see this kind of restriction coming from anywhere. What's next??? No experimental airplanes?

Anybody have more info on this?

. . .11/347 Aerodrome Operations PROHIBITED ULTRALIGHTS With OR WITHOUT REGISTRATION Numbers, POWERED PARACHUTES, SAILPLANES, Gliders, AUTOGYROS, SKY DIVING, AG Operations, Balloons, Airships, Non Certificated Aircraft. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:10 2009. . .

What's next??? No experimental airplanes?. . .
If this is true they are already PROHIBITING experimental airplanes ("Non Certificated Aircraft").

snip....What's next??? No experimental airplanes?

Anybody have more info on this?

I doubt it...there are 22 RVs on the field.

I buy my gas from the restaurant on the east side of the field (there are multiple pumps at 52F) and none of the people who have visited me and tied down on that side have ever been asked for any kind of money. I can't speak for the west side operation, as I have no data to support my claims.

11/347 Aerodrome Operations PROHIBITED ULTRALIGHTS With OR WITHOUT REGISTRATION Numbers, POWERED PARACHUTES, SAILPLANES, Gliders, AUTOGYROS, SKY DIVING, AG Operations, Balloons, Airships, Non Certificated Aircraft. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 NOV 22:10 2009
Aren't all these (except the landing fee) against FAA regs?

Pretty much, YES; IF the airport receives federal funding.

For a little clarification, there is no such thing as an ultralight with registration numbers. If it has registration numbers, it is certificated as either an amateur-built or light-sport aircraft.

Even unregistered ultralights cannot be prohibited unless it has been shown that they create a hazard.

Last edited:
52F (more accurately the runway and the taxiway) is privately owned by one individual. That is why I believe the fees can be levied, but like I said earlier, if you park on the east side that should not be a problem.

hmmm

So because it's privately owned, he can charge fees to land. That makes sense. But can he restrict the activity at the airport like he's attempting to do with these NOTAM's?

Tim states:

We look forward to reviving capital projects like “Operation Concrete”. Our first Open House fly-In is scheduled for May 15, 2010.

Maybe this has something to do with "Operation Concrete". :)

Last edited:
How can he then issue an...

So because it's privately owned, he can charge fees to land. That makes sense. But can he restrict the activity at the airport like he's attempting to do with these NOTAM's?

..official NOTAM?

We couldn't even do this for our privately owned airpark when the runway was closed for repaving - because we were "private".

Is the airport really private, or is it in some sort of in-between state?

UPDATE -

It is private, the FAA Master Record is here --

http://www.gcr1.com/5010web/airport.cfm?Site=52F

Last edited:
There's private use and privately owned. Two different things.
Privately owned and private use, you are own your own.
Privately owned/public use is different.

For example; my airport is privately owned AND private use. I can make pretty much any rules I want.

There's private use and privately owned. Two different things.
Privately owned and private use, you are own your own.
Privately owned/public use is different.

For example; my airport is privately owned AND private use. I can make pretty much any rules I want.

My airport is private owned and public use. The airport manager can post NOTAMs and restrictions. At our airport they have on and off posted no ultra-light and no helicopter practice. The helicopter practice is due to them coming from a controled airport only 10 miles away and then filling the pattern (and they fly the opposite pattern as aircraft). The owner of our airport got upset one day when having to continue to abort landing due to a helicopter in the way. He argued with the FAA and won when the helicopter group challenged the NOTAM. The arguement was safety due to the large number of operations at our airport expecially the large percent that are antiques and have no radio.

FAA Order 5190.6B?

Aren't all these (except the landing fee) against FAA regs? Is this a knee-jerk reaction to an incident out there? I never like to see this kind of restriction coming from anywhere.

Some of those look related to the through-the-fence restrictions in FAA Order 5190.6B. An airport operator might think that aircraft that can be trailered (ultralights, sailplanes... dunno, RV-12's?) fall under this.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-10-15_rules.asp

--Paul

Back