What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight control question

Phil Thompson

I'm New Here
Guys, my RV7 was down for an extended annual during which time I put in a 4 into 1 exhaust, rebuilt the pressure plenum, and fixed some nagging issues. Problem is she has always flown hands off. Now I have a heavy left wing. No control surfaces were adjusted but my tail wheel does have a lot of side to side slop. Any chance it is "canting" and causing this? Help!

Is there a possibility that you have attached the gear fairings or spats slightly out of line? Only a few millimeters on the gear fairing trailing edge will give you a roll tendency.

Is the four into one exhaust pointing straight back, or is there a chance it is canted to one side giving a bit of side thrust from the exhaust?

Heavy left wing?

If you sit on the left side did you eat a lot of Big Macs during the non-flying period?

Flight control issue

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a new tail wheel mount along with a new pin and spring to replace the original and eleminate the slop. I will also check the wheel pant alignment but feel there is no change. When I say heavy wing the plane actually flies reasonable but then slowly drops off to the left side. Just that this never was the case in the first 300hrs of flying. Amazing what goes on at 180+knots speed.

Back