What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flexible Bushing for HS forward Ribs?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I just wrapped up the Horizontal Stabilizer build portion and started thinking about the cable routing hole you create in the forward nose ribs to accomodate the trim cable down the road (I believe). The build has you place snap bushings in the spar between the nose and the rear spar, but I'm wondering about the the shop made hole. Is there some kind of flexible busing or rubber to place around this hole to protect against any chaffing? What have others done?
IMG_0569.JPG

Don't have a pic handy, but I used a piece of MS21266-1N plastic edging during final assembly. Throw some in with your next parts order. It's useful in several places.

While you are at it, check the snap bushings for clearance for the cable.

I ended up going one size larger in the I.D. of the snap bushing.

And, using a couple of pieces of plastic tubing like in the photo below, you just insert the tip of the cable in the tubing, and start working the stab onto the fuse----the trim cable will follow the plastic tubing, while pushing it out of the stab. By the time you get the stab in place, the cables have taken care of themselves, and the guide tubing is now laying on the floor.

P5220016.jpg

Any info on what tubing you used/size? Also, any other holes in the future I'm going to need this edging for as well? Trying to get a sense on how much I should order.

Last edited:
I'd order 4-6 feet of it in various sizes. You'll find plenty of places to use it and you'll probably order more.

It's not cheap, but pretty handy.

Back