What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flexible Brake Lines at Caliper

MatthewD

I'm planning to use stainless braided teflon brake lines from the gear leg bottom to the calipers with aluminum tubing from there up to the firewall.

How long does the hose need to be from the caliper to the gear allowing for a service loop and not interfere with the wheel pants?

Is using aluminum tubing down the leg and then transitioning to stainless braided teflon hose a good idea or do I just run stainless braided teflon hoses all the way from the caliper to the firewall bulkhead fitting?

Last edited:
Need just a little clarification - when you say stainless tube, do you mean flexible rubber hose with stainless steel braid on the outside?

As a data point, I ran 3/16" aluminum tube from a bulkhead fitting on the side of the fuselage all the way to the caliper, with a service loop as shown in the drawings (circa 1993 6A drawings). No problems in almost 1000 hours.

To each their own, but I would prefer all metal tubing near the brakes as opposed to any hose using rubber like compounds.

A little more info. is here.

flexible brake line

I used a 36 inch flexible brake line from where the fitting is mounted on the fuselage to the brakes on a 7A.

I'm planning to use stainless brake lines from the gear leg to the calipers with aluminum tubing from there up to the firewall.

How long does the hose need to be from the caliper to the gear allowing for a service loop and not interfere with the wheel pants?

Is using aluminum tubing down the leg and then transitioning to stainless tubing a good idea or do I just run stainless tubing all the way from the caliper to the firewall bulkhead fitting?

I recently upgraded the brake lines on my 850 hr RV-6 from the standard aluminum to stainless braided teflon. I bought 10' of -4 hose, two straight -4 and two 90 degree -4 fittings (about $65). Just over 9' was needed for the two lines that run from the bulkheads fittings on the left side of the firewall to the calipers. The new lines make a gentle bend from the gear legs to the calipers with just enough slack to allow the calipers to be lifted off the rotors. The hoses fit very nicely under the lower intersection fairings.

The hose and AN fittings were purchased from a local speed shop and assembled to fit the plane. One hose is ~3' long, the other ~6'. The old lines had performed fine but I consider the new hoses to be a nice upgrade and should last the life of the plane.

I just went through the same thing and used 12", #3 hose from http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/. I have a #4 coming out of the firewall, but transition to a #3 hose the last 12" of the run. They have AN815/AN919 adaptors to transition from a #4 to a #3 line.

Jim

"They have AN815/AN919 adaptors to transition from a #4 to a #3 line."

While I'm sure this is well known within this group, I'm putting this out here to help...
AN815 series are like ends....-3 to -3, -4 to -4 ect.
AN919 series is a union reducer.....-4 to -3, -6 to -4 ect.
To connect a -3 female to a -4 female the part would be AN919-2D

Regards,
Brett

Last edited:
Back