What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaring tool sources

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Any recommendations as to where to locate an inexpensive flaring tool needed for the fuel tank construction? I found some from ACS but they are over $90! Yikes!

I know, I know.... I was forewarned to expect to be paying $200 a month on tools for the life of the project, but nearly $100 seems high for a simple flaring tool.

And while we are on the subject of tools, where do you get the required torque wrenches? Sears?

Thanks, guys.

torque wrenches -- at tooltopia.com -- I am very happy with KD Tools (GearWrench) models.

Tools

I spent about $100 on my flaring tool and I'm glad I did. I get precision flares every time. If a tube end isn't flared properly, it can leak. I don't want any fuel leaks, period. Just my 2 cents worth.

As for the torque wrench, it bought mine on sale at Sears. Just make sure you get the one with INCH-pounds, not foot-pounds like the first one I bought. Do you know what happens when you torque an AN3 bolt to 25 foot-pounds? :mad:

Based on recommendations from this forum, I bought the Parker flaring tool from ATS a month ago. The flare quality is awesome, every time. This is a must-have tool IMHO.

RVbySDI said:
I recently bought this Parker flaring tool from ATS.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=212FB&ReturnPage=/shop/flyer.aspx?PageNo=1

Their web page lists it at 73.95 but I got it on sale from them for 68.00 with free shipping. I am currently building the fuel tanks and used it to flare the vent line and FI return lines. So far the flares look good. No complaints.
That's a good price. Got mine from Spruce for a few bucks more. I think Avery lists it for around 99.00.

Home Depot sells a 37 degree flaring tool? I didn't really even consider them for that, though I was going to look there for a bending tool and pipe cutter.

Jeff R said:
Home Depot sells a 37 degree flaring tool? I didn't really even consider them for that, though I was going to look there for a bending tool and pipe cutter.

This same question came up last month too; as the normally sold Home Depot flaring tool is 45 degrees. And as mentioned before, it doesn't seat properly. Might hold now, but leak later.

L.Adamson ---- I have the Parker-flare tool as shown above. Works fantastic!

37 deg tool from Home Depot?

TSwezey said:
Bought my flaring tool at Home Depot. I think it was around $35. It works, no leaks at 60PSI.
Like others, I would be shocked to see a 37 degree flaring tool from any of the local hardware mega stores or the discount stores such as Harbor Freight. I have checked locally which is why I ended up buying through ATS. I would be careful with 45 degree flares and inspect them religiously.

Flaring tools

Jeff,
Here's my two cents or maybe more. I bought a heavy duty Imperial- Eastman Flaring tool from Brown Tools. It is US made but I was disappointed. It is small enough to work in tight quarters and if you follow directions using lubricant, etc. it makes a very nice flare. It claims to NOT score the sides of the tube with the gripping dies but it does on the soft tubing that Van's supplies(3003). I suspect that it would be a lot less noticeable on the 5052 hydraulic tubing. It also takes a lot of fumble-fa*ting around to get it set up with the right length etc.
My neighbor building a 7A bought the Parker brand Rolo-Flair from Avery and his tubing work has no marks probably since the dies on the Rolo-Flair are not ribbed. The Rolo-Flair is built like a tank. The price was about the same $99 vs 95. The Rolo-Flair has a handle on it so it looks like you could chuck it in a vise and have two hands to work the tool and tubing. Maybe someone else can comment more on the Rolo-Flair.
In general, I have found that if you need something in a hurry and you don't have any info on whats best, get it from Avery. It will almost always do the job nicely. The prices often seem to be a little higher and I have to pay freight and 8.25 sales tax so it really makes a welt when I order but they ship promptly and I have not ever been disappointed with the quality.
As for skimping on a flaring tool, my advice is don't do it. Poorly made or dinged flares or tubing will leak or crack over time when under pressure and you don't need that in a brake or fuel line.
Dave A.
6A-QB

Back