What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaring Lines....

Phil

Well Known Member
I just watched the EAA web video on flaring and they suggested using a lube while flaring the lines.

They suggested using:
Brake fluid to lube the brake lines.
Engine oil for the oil lines.
Fuel for the fuel lines.​

Is this standard operating procedure or is there a more general purpose lube that can be used regardless of the line type?

Reading through Sec 5 of the manual, it simply says Oil.

Phil

Last edited:
I think any oil would be fine and should be used. Flushing the tubes with a solvent and rinsing with hot water, followed by air blowing to dry off should remove any residue foreign to the system the tube will be used on. I wouldn't use fuel just for safety reasons in case of an inadvertant ignition. I also recommend using the Parker Rolo-Flair. After you cut the tube to length, clean up the edges of the tube to prevent loose shards from interfering with the rolling process. The file on the cutter and scotch brite do well. I also cleaned up the edges of the flair with scotch brite after the flairing process and before cleaning the tube. This helps remove any micro cracks in the edge to help prevent any cracks from propagating from them.

Hope this helps,

Roberta

Thanks Roberta...

I didn't even think of flushing with solvent. That makes perfect sense.

I'm guessing you can pick up a generic solvent at pretty much any autoparts store?

Phil

Any of the non flamable safety solvets work fine. I typically use mineral spirits (cheaper than most other solvents) for cleaning things that won't be painted, but I can't vouch for its inflamability. Just be careful using anything that could flash.

Roberta

Cool deal..

I'm getting ready to attach the brake fluid reservoir to the firewall and brake system too... I'm going to rinse out the reservoir too just to make sure there are no gremlins in there.

Phil

Any of the non flamable safety solvets work fine. I typically use mineral spirits (cheaper than most other solvents) for cleaning things that won't be painted, but I can't vouch for its inflamability. Just be careful using anything that could flash.

Roberta

Mineral spirits makes a good charcoal starter...

Back