What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flare seals

New to me

These are new to me. I am glad to see some options for sealing flared fittings.

I never really liked the flared fitting sealing geometry. A better (more expensive) fitting is found on some aircraft engines where one side of the fluid fitting is ball shaped. This approach provides better sealing, especially if the tubing is misaligned.

Thanks for posting.

Your making me reach back in my memory on this...I used to use "Seco Seals" on high pressure aircraft hydraulic lines - 3000psi.

The ones you found appear to be a good alternative to our GA applications.

Never seen the ones in the OP but I have used Del Seals quite a bit in other experimental aircraft I have been involved with.

Similar to what we used in the 80's

when i was doing rocket stuff in the 80's at Garrett AiResearch, we used to use VoShans. They are similar but where approved. The VoShans were just a aluminum or copper thin metal cone-shape without the ridges and locktite sealant. I still have a tube of -6's in copper. The paper says Seco, Costa Mesa, PN 7C6. Curious if these new ones are FAA approved.

Flares

Best thing to use in my opinion is MS hardware. No flare, just a ferule and a B nut. Boeing uses them. Never have found a source for them though.

The ones that Spruce sells are not the same thing. I used one of the Spruce ones on brake line that had a little bit of it leak - it worked well and has held up for 3 years.

BTW. There's not much to the ones that Spruce sells. They are very delicate, almost like an aluminum foil - I was surprised when I opened the package.

We used them on all the fittings on the Cozy MKIV and had no leaks so I also used them on all the fittings in my -10.

We have similar style seals where I work. They come in either aluminum or stainless steel. You must match the material of the seal with the type of tubing in order for them to seal properly.

Good things. quick 'fix' alternative to replacing a AN fitting. Just make sure the flare on the hose end isnt scarred from the original damage.
Tom

Back