What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps up for takeoff?

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
Does Van recommend using half flaps for takeoff?
The POH gives conflicting information.
On page 7-6 of the POH it says,
"BEFORE TAKEOFF" "Flaps ? SET for takeoff 1st DETENT"
Then on the next page 7-7 is says,
"TAKE-OFF (Normal)" "Flaps ? UP"
I do not know why one would set half flaps before takeoff, but then retract them as you start rolling.
If Scott reads this, perhaps he will clear this up.
Joe

I have never used flaps on takeoff and wouldn't unless I was on a 1000ft runway. The 12 climbs incredibly well.
Dick Seiders 120093

The official position

as taught during checkout, is half flaps for takeoff. Since I fly out of a 4500 foot runway I plan to use half flaps (with the attendant pitch change when retracted) only as required for the Van's Flight Test Cards. As Dick said, climb perfermance is awfully impressive without them.

Wayne 120241/143WM

exceptions to normal takeoff

The POH could mean to raise flaps after takeoff. But then on that same page 7-7, it says:
TAKE-OFF (Obstacle)
During an obstacle take-off, use the normal take-off
procedures with the following exceptions:
? Flaps ? 1st DETENT
? Lift ?Off ? 50 to 55 kts CAS
? Climb ? 60 kts (best angle of climb) until clear of
obstacle
So that means that flaps set at the 1st detent is an exception to normal takeoff. Then on the next page for soft field, it says that flaps set at the 1st detent is an exception to normal takeoff and it even says when to retract the flaps. It seems to me that there are errors in the POH. Or if it is correct, then it needs to be more specific as to when the flaps should be retracted during normal takeoff.
Joe

Takeoffs

Use half Flaps for every Takeoff. Do every takeoff like a soft field takeoff. This reduces ware and tear on the nose wheel strut. This is the way Vans demo Pilots fly the RV12.

John
RV12 N1212K

Ok, that makes sense so I'll try 1/2 flaps to see if it helps aviate earlier to reduce nose wheel load. I expect there will be substantial nose-down tendancy, and will decide which method is best for me.
Dick Seiders 120093.

Back