What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps Deployment Speeds

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I had a conversation yesterday with Vans regarding flap speeds. As most of you know, Vans published Flap speeds for the -10 are as follows:

[FONT=&quot]"FLAP SPEED: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]On the RV-10, 140 mph statute for ?trail? (3? deflection), 110 mph statute for ?? flap? (18?deflection), and 100 mph statute for ?full flap? (33? deflection)."[/FONT]

According to Vans Tech support, engineering has decided through analysis and/or testing, to eliminate the speed restriction for the 0 degree "in trail" position of the flaps. They had no idea when the documentation would be changed to reflect this new data.

Don't know why anyone would worry just get below 96knots and chuck out 10-15, maybe 20 as the speed rolls off and by the time you want more you are 80 knots anyway.

Interesting discovery though, you need to get out more :D

These things fly nice indeed :)

David,
It's been cold up here, so nothing else to do!

The reason this came up is I am using the Vertical Power VPX system. The neat thing about this power management system is it controls all of the trim actuators. In the case of the flaps, you can set a speed for which it will not allow you to accidentally deploy the flaps. We were trying to verify that we still needed to limit the trail position speed of deployment.

You know how it is, when you can't fly you work on making the project last longer by diddling with it!

David,
It's been cold up here, so nothing else to do!

The reason this came up is I am using the Vertical Power VPX system. The neat thing about this power management system is it controls all of the trim actuators. In the case of the flaps, you can set a speed for which it will not allow you to accidentally deploy the flaps. We were trying to verify that we still needed to limit the trail position speed of deployment.

You know how it is, when you can't fly you work on making the project last longer by diddling with it!

It will be nice when the new VP/X code is released to support two speed limits. one for reflex to neutral, and another for the other positions.

Bill, do you have a build log of your 10 thus far? I'm planning for the VP set up as well and would like to follow your progress.

Thanks, Bill... that's great news from Van's. Makes me feel less bad about the few times I've forgotten to raise my flaps after takeoff.

-Rob

VP-X Beta, reflex

I just started beta testing the new VPX s/w that allows for the reflex setting on the RV-10. There is no Vfe for going from reflex to 0, but you set the Vfe for dropping flaps below 0. So far, works great. I don't think this is letting any cats out of any bags - Marc promised the update last year.

Good to hear.

I'm glad they are updating the SW to accept all positions. I'll probably be using a VP solution for my 10 too (although by then, it'll be the VP8000 or something) :(

This news has a very practical implication - that it is okay for builders to make small adjustments to the flaps (no need to be against the aft spar) if needed to get the plane to fly hands free.

Last edited:
Back