What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperons & Adjustments

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
The distance from skin to center of the "eye" of the bearing is 11/32" on the 2 hinge points per wing. After that is achieved, at what point does the 1/4" "droop" come into play? I assume you make the adjustment after the torque tube match drill? Any suggestions?

page 32-10 step 1

Page G2-2 of the PAP (Production Acceptance Procedures) specifies 1/4" droop. I did not have that much and had to adjust the F-1265 push tube length. If they want a 1/4", why did page 32-10 step 1 say to clamp the flaperons even with the wing? Evidently there is supposed to be enough play in the control system that allows the flaperons to droop. My advice when doing 32-10 step 1 is that it is better to have the flaperons slightly lower rather than slightly higher.
Joe

Kyle, this is just a wild guess, so take this with a pound of salt... I assume that the pivoting point is not where you adjust the flaperon for the droop, I think the 11/32" distance from the skin is still the correct adjustment for the hinge bearings. IIf I understand the droop "concept" correctly, you adjust the control system so the trailing edge of both flaperons is 1/4" below the trailing edge of the wing (well, because of the flaperon there is not much trailing edge left on the wing). I understand that the pressure below the wing will push the flaperon upwards and therefore remove any play in the control system which seems to add up to a 1/4" at the flaperons' trailing edges.

Kyle, this is just a wild guess, so take this with a pound of salt... I assume that the pivoting point is not where you adjust the flaperon for the droop, I think the 11/32" distance from the skin is still the correct adjustment for the hinge bearings. IIf I understand the droop "concept" correctly, you adjust the control system so the trailing edge of both flaperons is 1/4" below the trailing edge of the wing (well, because of the flaperon there is not much trailing edge left on the wing). I understand that the pressure below the wing will push the flaperon upwards and therefore remove any play in the control system which seems to add up to a 1/4" at the flaperons' trailing edges.

You have it right except for one small thing, the 1/4 inch is the total for both wings, the measurement is taken with one flaperon clamped in trail with the wing tip and then you should have 1/4 inch droop at the other wing tip. When the controls are returned to neutral this provides 1/8 inch droop on each side, which is removed in flight by the air load through the slop in the system.

Best regards,
Vern

Maybe a silly idea, but would it not be better and easier to just work out the "slop" in the system?

Maybe a silly idea, but would it not be better and easier to just work out the "slop" in the system?

Yes that would be good but there is no way to have a bearing with out some small tolerance, in this system there are at lease six bearings on each side of the system so I do not think that in this price range you can get much of the slop out. Let us know if you find a way.

Best regards,
Vern

build it as per the plans and you should have 1/8'' droop on both wings if not adjust flaperon actuator rod length

finished the match drill, both flaperons are a little out of center. I think adjusting the rod lengths will take care of it.

When the controls are returned to neutral this provides 1/8 inch droop on each side, which is removed in flight by the air load through the slop in the system.

Best regards,
Vern

Control system slop, and control system elasticity are two totally different things.

A properly built/assembled RV-12 flaperon control system has no slop ( if you move the control stick even the tiniest amount, the flaperons also move).

The RV-12 does have some elasticity in the system because of the flaperon drooping mechanism and the torsional flexing that can occur in flaperon torque tubes.

In flight, there is air loads on the bottom of the flaperons (they are part of the lifting surface of the wing). Because of their rather large area (full span of the wing), the air loads are high enough to cause a small amount of torsional flex in the torque tubes and other portions of the aileron control system. This is compensated by adjusting each to be drooped very slightly... in flight, the elasticity allows them to be in trail at the proper neutral orientation to the wing.

I believe a revision for 32-10 is in the works so that builders shouldn't have to readjust during final inspection.

Back