What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon roll

I am still in the first five hour test period and have a rigging problem that I have not found in the archives. When deploying the flaperons to the first notch the plane rolls to the right. Going to the second notch it still rolls to the right but not as much.
I have checked the alignment several times and the right flaperon goes down very slightly more than the left one which should give a roll to the left! Adjusting the push rods would just move the stick off center. The two flaperons look identical and are very flat. The left one seems to be more effective but why?
Henry

Henry,

How much stick movement do you need to correct the roll? Does it fly wings level with hands off and no flaps?

Rich

Page 18-06 Step 6

Check the rod end bearings on the bottom of the flaperons. If they are not all threaded in equal amounts, then make them all the same. Or if they are all the same, try turning one side up or down a half turn and then flight test.
I do not know if this is the problem or not, but it is worth a try.
Joe Gores

Rich, It flies quite well hands off. If left alone, probably less than one degree to the right in a minute. Joe, the rod end bearings all look the same as does the gap between the flaperon and the wing trailing edge but I will try half a turn down on the right side, great idea.
Henry

Do you have the auto pilot servos hooked up?

The top of both sticks should move toward (away?) from each other as the flaps are lowered due to the geometry of the mixer. The servo could (theoretically) reduce the movement of the left stick, so the thus held left stick results in a roll.

This can be tested on the ground.

Just an idea.

-Dave

Last edited:
Back