What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon Rivet Binding

RPorter

As i take a break from my all night marathon of college basketball, we've come across a bump in the road while installing flaperons on our 12. The leading edge flaperon rivets are getting hung up on the squeeze rivets that attach the "hinge" to the end of the flap. Should these be flush rivets instead? Not sure what to do about this.

Ross,

Could you be more specific about the location of the interference? Maybe refer to part numbers, or better yet send a photo?

John

It is a good idea on these posts to always include the plans page number - makes searching MUCH easier for everyone.

flapperon hinge problem

Ross I think I know what your problem might be, only because I had the same thing. I used the wrong thickness washers when I set the hinge in place to be riveted. You might as well order a new piece of angle from Van's and make some new parts. This time make sure you use the 8 washers called out, I believe they are the thick ones. Those 470 rivets are hard to set because they get real close to the radius on the angle. I think I resorted to a gun and bucking bar. I think once you get the proper washers the clearance will be there.

Hutch
Skyview is on the way, and none too soon!

Back