What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon Question

JohnF

Well Known Member
I finished the wings and am in the middle of making the flaperons.

Can someone give me a photo or a description of how the flaperson is activated?

I appears that the Activation Bracket, A-1207 L/R is inserted into something in the fuselage, or somehow attached to that braket's "ear" to make the flaperon move up or down.

I don't have any idea of how this is connected, and the drawings I have for the fuselage kit don't clear it up for me.

Any confusion elimators out there for me?

Thank you.

Activation

I couldn't figure it out either at that point. It is a mystery until you get to the finish kit. Control stick input goes through a flaperon mixer and then back to flaperon activation torque tubes. They stick through holes in the side of the fuse and connect to the flaperon bracket. Kind of hard to visualize until you see it. The flaperon engages the torque tube when the wing is attached.

Rich
Waiting for the engine.

FLAPERON ACTUATION

There is a black UHMW PE button that is bolted on with the same bolt as you see in the picture that is the inboard bearing attachment bolt. The button is tapered and engages the flaperon torque tube (the white tube). In fact it supports the outer end of the tube and without it the thing would wobble around and bear on the edge protector around the hole through the fusalage skin (that is the serrated piece you see painted red in the picture). The torque tube has a short arm welded to it that you fit some more UHMW PE pieces to, and it engages the flaperon actuation brackets. The whole thing works slicker than snot on a doorknob! The arm is the white piece sticking straight up from the tube and it really is welded to the tube.
Larry

Last edited:
Back