What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon gust lock

tomkk

Well Known Member
I've found a number of threads about rudder gust lock and folks seem to use the seat belts for the elevator but I haven't found anything about securing the flaperons. Did I just miss it? I keep my -12 hangered but would like something for when I travel. Using Van's tow bar for the rudder lock. What do you all use for the flaperons?

Use tow bar to lock the flapperons too.

The velcro strap on the tow bar can be wrapped around the stick and it holds the flapperons in place extremely well. I think Van's designed it that way.

Tie down too.

This thread on securing the RV12's control surfaces should also include securing the plane to the ground.

I use the red plastic rectangle plates (not at the airport and can't recall the correct brand name) on the flaperons and my tow bar for the brakes and stick securing. I don't have anything on the rudder but the tow bar helps there too, but nothing external.

I recall in the past posts reading about the wind blowing enough to push the tail to the ground pretty hard and some made stands to support the tail. Also I have seen at Oshkosh where the nose gear is tied down to control the tail from being pushed down. Has this practice been successful? Or is the "tail stand" of PVC still being used?

I plan to go to Oshkosh next year and want to get together the suggested outside storage equipment other than the required tie-downs for the wings and tail. Thanks

Back