What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap warning

frankh

Well Known Member
Morning all,

I been thinking about adding a warning annuciation to the flaps..I.e a warning that the flap motor is running.

Background..I installed a Showplanes flap positoner and to be honest the thing was a major pain. Evenually the 1/16th rod would bend and bind up the whole mechanism...I worked with it a few times before ripping it out.

i now use the counting method..4 for half flaps, 8 for full etc.

The problem I have is on the rare occasions I have to make a go around, go missed on an IFR approach etc.

Well of course you can't hear the flap motor running!

So I was thinking of wiring the UP signal to either a light on the panel, or maybe even to the Dynon audible warning....Sure it would be the same warning noise as if the oil pressure went away, but you would be expecting it and it would only be howling while your moving the flaps up.

Thoughts on the idea?

Thanks

Frank

Re: Flap Warning

Frank: Good idea on the flap up with motor running. I used a DPDT switch with a center off. The down position is monentary and the up position is locked. I have a squat switch on the flap arm to cut out the motor ground in the up position. Seems to work well so far (400 hours). I got the wiring diagram off this chat group, can't remember who, but it works great. Dan.

Flap Indication

Frank,

I like Steve Sampson's OFPSS (Optical Flap Position Sensor System) as fitted to his RV-4:

http://gikonwings.blogspot.com/2008/05/some-wing-details.html#links
go to the top of the page

It is simple and weighs about the same as a postage stamp.

You can still use the counting method to deploy half/full flaps but with Steve's system you also have a visual indication as well.

On the audible flap motor running annunciator, I think that is a good idea too. For the brief few seconds that the flap motor is running it should not be a distraction because, as you say, it is expected. I know this is unlikely, but if however, the end stop switches fail and the motor stalls against the flaps up end stop, then you have a continuing audible warning and can manually remove power from the flap motor to prevent it burning out.

This works well for me......

Frank: Good idea on the flap up with motor running. I used a DPDT switch with a center off. The down position is monentary and the up position is locked. I have a squat switch on the flap arm to cut out the motor ground in the up position. Seems to work well so far (400 hours). I got the wiring diagram off this chat group, can't remember who, but it works great. Dan.

I did the above, keeps the motor from running if you leave it in the up position. Very easy to do.

Background..I installed a Showplanes flap positoner and to be honest the thing was a major pain. Evenually the 1/16th rod would bend and bind up the whole mechanism...I worked with it a few times before ripping it out.
I have the Show Planes system. To me it installed very easily and I have over 300 hours (over 450 flap cycles) with not a single issue. Love it. Tap switch once for 15 degrees, once more for 30, and once more for full flaps. Flip the switch up and then retract all the way and the motor stops.

Funny, I can hear my flap motor running even with my ANR headsets.

Of course on the side-by-side models you sit right next to the motor.

Wow

Under full power there is no way I could hear mine, especially whilebeing lashed with rain

It's also very simple to just run 2 wires directly to an led/incandescant lamp from the motor wires. Then, anytime the motor is on you will get an indication.

Vic

Here's what I did: A flap limit switch in the up position. I also wired a lamp to the Flap Switch, pin 3 and +12V . This lamp indicates when the flaps are extended.

flap_switch.jpg

Thanks, Vern

This works, but the difference with wiring the light directly to the motor AT the motor is that one really knows if there is power to the actual motor, and not just the circuit.

Vic

Back