What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Torque Tube

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I'm currently installing the flap torque tubes and bushings on page 40-5 and feel that there is a lot of resistance when I manually move the center arm by hand. I feel that any resistance might be hard on the electric motor that controls the flaps. Do I disassemble and rework the powder coating,(which might be the problem) or leave it alone...
Thanks for your input

Craig

I've been doing the same job today. One thing I found was that I had to enlarge the holes for the torque tubes so that the centre arm would fit through. This centre piece needs the powder coating cleaned up on its ends, so it rotates smoothly against the side of the blocks. I found that the blocks sat exactly where there was no powder coating so they ran smoothly. I also had to open up the outer skin holes slightly to ensure no interference.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Mike and Peter,
I am making all those steps today and hope that it takes care of the problem.

On another note, am I on the right track thinking that these flap torque tubes should move with ease???? It just seems that it will make it run easier and be easier on the electric motor. Any thoughts....

Craig

I think there is a little resistance as it runs through Teflon blocks. This should free up with use. Remember the flap is quite well geared so a little resistance won't have much effect.
It's like the rudder pedals they feel stiff when you install them but never notice it when flying.

Just make sure that the holes in the tunnel sides,where the torque tube exit, are large enough for the centre tube which has the arm on it to pass through and contact the blocks. This stops sideways movement, but you don't want it rubbing on the tunnel sides.

Hope this makes sense

Peter

Back