What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap to fuse fittment

PIN 37

Well Known Member
Has anybody found that after mating the wings to the fuse and drilling the rear spar, that you then had to put a joggle in the inboard end of the flap so that it could mate with the fuse? I am sure I set the fuse level and the wings at the correct incidence using the method shown on drawing 38. then when I
refitted the flaps to the wing I found they would not go all the way up because they fouled the bottom of the fuse, hence having to put the joggle in the flap. Having once drilled the rear spar is there any known fix for this problem, or any known reason why this would occur?:(

Thanks for any help
Phil from Oz CN 72295

Last edited:
normal and expected.

The joggle is expected. The wings are canted, and the flap gap seal needs a joggle to be flush with the fuse.

Ditto with my -6

Jim Sharkey

joggle.jpg

PS - and making that short tapered joggle with a hand seamer is a right royal pain in the arse.

Last edited:
Ditto with my -6
PS - and making that short tapered joggle with a hand seamer is a right royal pain in the arse.
My attempt at making a good looking joggle was a complete failure. I ended up cutting off the overlapping piece with snips. There is probably a drag penalty from the high pressure on the bottom escaping through the small gap between the fuselage and end of the flap. The plane flies great but I will get around to making and pop riveting joggled end pieces to the flaps. I am just having so much fun flying her to spend the time making the parts. As so many have said before, Build on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo Jim, that is pretty much exactly what my 7 looks like except I have not been able to get such a neat looking joggle at this stage. I feel a whole heap better now and the reason for my angst in the first place is that when my friend put the wings on his 7a the flaps lined up with the bottom of the fuse almost perfectly without the need of a joggle, but at least now I know I'm not the only one with this condition.

Thanks for the photo Jim, that is pretty much exactly what my 7 looks like except I have not been able to get such a neat looking joggle at this stage. I feel a whole heap better now and the reason for my angst in the first place is that when my friend put the wings on his 7a the flaps lined up with the bottom of the fuse almost perfectly without the need of a joggle, but at least now I know I'm not the only one with this condition.

I guess our #5 fuselage frame that picks up the rear spar must "hang low" for some reason.

My -6 flies very straight and true by the way.

Jim Sharkey

Back