What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap switch - 3 or 4 positions

lockeed

Well Known Member
I have a regular off/on flap switch in my RV, I'm wondering about switching to a 3 or 4 position flap switch with an indicator.

I just don't really know what's involved in doing so. I guess you probably need some sort of control module also apart from the switch?

Your inputs are welcome.

THX!

Flap Positioning

Hi Lockeed,

I recently had my 6 upgraded to electric flaps and had the Vans 'Flap Positioning System' kit installed at the same time. You can buy it direct from them in the accessory catalogue. There's a very similar kit available from Show Planes.

The Vans system comprises a collar and notched rod with micro switches that clamps to the flap actuation arm and a three position toggle switch. Latched up (to retract), latched middle (null) and momentary down (press once and release for 10 degrees, again for 20 and again for 40)

This kit doesn't have a position indicator display but I know you can add one from other sources. I just look out the window if I've forgotten how much I've put out. Some put markings on the port flap to indicate this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Monica
G-RVCL

I like the concept of making marks on the port flap to indicate position. Cheap, very light, and doesn't require drilling or uncomfortable positions in the cockpit.

The more I fly the aircraft, the more I'm realizing that it's not really a 3 or 4 position flap switch I'd need but just a flap position indicator on the panel.

Is there something simple available to install on RV's ?

Maybe something like this?
image007.jpg

Potatoes worth of flaps.... :D

In the RV-8, I simply look out the canopy at the left wing and easily judge what looks about 10 degrees, halfway (~20-25), and full (40).

I also count how many seconds to hold down the flap switch.

~2 seconds for 10 deg (say to myself "one potato two")
~3-4 seconds for 20-25 deg ("one potato two potato three potato")
~7-8 seconds for all the way down.

Back in my primary training days in an old C172-L model, that had a similar flap switch with center off and spring loaded momentary up and down positions, and a flap position indicator on the "A" pillar that was almost impossible to read, when abeam the number on downwind, my CFI would say "throttle back 1500 rpm, slow to 80 mph and gimme four potatoes worth of flaps". The flap motor was pretty slow on that old crate and it took at least four seconds holding the switch down to get 10 degrees.

So now whenever I am flying something with a momentary contact electric flap switch I always think of how many potatoes worth of flaps to put down.

Back