What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Speeds

No.

But why do you want to do that?

87 knots is for full flap, I use 97 for 10 degrees or so, then at 87 start looking at a bit more and full flap usually around 78.

There is no need for any more.

I was instructed by Mike Seagar and have followed his advice to the letter and have found no problems. Flap deployment at 90mph. To slow to flap deployment speed, cut to idle and pull up on the stick, deploy first gradient of flap and set rpm 1200, then 200 fpm sink rate and continue to deploy flaps as appropriate. Slows like a charm. In my 9A anyway. Flaps up at 90mph on takeoff climb also.
Hope that helps

??

No.

But why do you want to do that?

87 knots is for full flap, I use 97 for 10 degrees or so, then at 87 start looking at a bit more and full flap usually around 78.

There is no need for any more.

+ 2. They're fine, just like they are :)

Best,

Hey Pierre

How is the Cricket doing mate :D:D:D

Not often I get to gloat lately......:D:D:D:D:D:D

And I have three of you bloody Outh Africans working for me......I tell ya they are taking over the world....bit by bit!! :)

David, all I have left are fond memories of cricket, from my Rhodesia days....back when the earth was cooling:)

I enjoy being a full-fledged American so much, I seldom look back...life is good!. With the SA situation, I expect you're going to see more Afrikaners.

Best,

From another post

Where are these speeds posted ?
I can find 87kts as flap extension speed and that is what I have been using, except for neutral which I deploy around 110kts.

T
he reflex position (-3 degrees) is the "standard cruise position". Van's limits the max speed on the 0 degree trail position to 122 Kts. As stated above, in the trail position at 0 degrees, the load is transferred from the rear wing spar to the flap actuator mechanism. At 15 degrees, the speed limit is 96 kts and at full flaps, 87 kts. The actuation mechanism is not designed to accept a load beyond the limits imposed by the above speeds. I would not think that you would need to fly a pattern at more than 122 kts. My pattern speed is 80 kts, and short final is 72kts with full flaps.

Flap Speed Documentation

The flap speed are outline on the bottom of Page 21 of the Finial Inspection and Flight Test Document.

140 MPH for trail 3 Degree Deflection
110 MPH for Half Flap 18 Degree Deflection
100 MPH for Full Flap 33 Degree Deflection

The 10 runs down hill really well, and it can seem like you can't get slowed down enough for flaps. What I have found is that keeping the nose up gets it slowed down rather nicely. It isn't like flying a Cherokee where you can point the nose at the runway, if you do that it will just pick up speed. Hope that helps - Jason

Plan ahead.

All the RV's are slick airplanes if they're fully faired and all upper and lower intersection fairings installed, and they slow down rather reluctantly.

So simply ease the power back sooner, like at midpoint on downwind, instead of waiting until you're abeam the landing threshold. A little advanced thinking will take care of the slick airframe's reluctance to slow down.

....and don't come zooming into the downwind leg at a 190 MPH cruise either. Start your initial "approach" from several miles out and incrementally reduce speed.....just like the airline/bizjet guys:)

Best,

Back