What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap rod hole

wpisar

I'm about to drill out the flap rod hole in the bottom skins but can not find a hole as depicted on the skins diagram to start from. Does anyone have any photos of how the flap rod hole looks.

Bill

Answer to my own question. There is no guide hole in the bottom skin because my good friends the Quick Builders put a rivet in it.

Bill

Bill,

When you get to cutting the hole, here is a good idea of what it should look like and why.

Also - don't obsess too much on making the hole the absolute minimum size. It will be covered by the flap in flight, and on the ground only the side shows.

Binding here would be a bummer and too many fit-remove-fit-remove cycles while building takes a lot of time. I was overly precise and there really was no need.

Tip: flap rod hole

I got this one from Hoover's -9 site. Make a paper template of the first finished hole. Tape the paper to the fuselage over the hole. Mark the location of the 4 rivets around the hole. Rub the side of a pencil over the hole to "draw" the hole shape on the paper. Remove the paper. Cutout the hole pattern. Tape the paper to the other side of the fuselage using the rivet for location. Trace the hole shape on the fuse skin. Remove the paper and cut metal.
Almost easier done than said,
Steve

Bill,

One more tip here. Make sure you install the appropriate washers on the rod-end that screws into the flap itself. I didn't see this at first and it caused me to make the hole larger than necessary to prevent rubbing. Those washers push the contraption inward somewhat.

Back