What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap rod fuselage holes

Flap operating assembly all complete - now having difficulty in finding the drawing for the hole sizes I need to drill to allow the flap rods to exit the fuselage . One drawing shows the location but thats all. Any ideas?

Here is one of my journal entries regarding the flap rod holes in the fuse:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#864

I had my flap motor operational so I could move the flaps up and down easily to check the range of motion. Just cut enough to let the flap move thru its entire range of motion. Cut a bit, check it out, cut some more...

Once I had the hole done on one side, I traced it, and REVERSED the pattern on the other side.

David,

Check out this picture:

My Tech Counselor had me enlarge the hole even more so there would be NO chance of it binding up in flight.

That will give you an idea how to shape that hole. You might also wish to check out the 2nd fuselage page of my web site.

David,

On my QB those hard working and overly enthusiastic workers riveted the guide hole for the flap rod. Just take a close look at the line of rivets in that area and you will notice one rivet that is spaced a little differently from the rest.

Bill - working on the Roll Bar.

My QB fuse had the correct 'starting hole' rivet missing, as it was supposed to be. I looked at many flying planes before I cut these holes to get a feel for size/location, and took pictures. Those fly-in breakfasts are handy for these types of "inspections." I found all kinds of different sized holes for the flap rods. I connected the flap motor and ran the flaps up and down, as others have stated, to ensure the holes were big enough and in the correct location to avoid any issues.

Inspect some flying RV's, if you can, to get a feel for this. It certainly helps.

Back