What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Riveting - Bucking Bar

compren

Anyone have a recommendation on a good bucking bar to use for the aft bottom rivet line of FL701 to FL702 flap skins? I have a Tungsten bar that is roughly 2x2x3 that I can't get in there...too tight a squeeze for my big hand. I am thinking I need something roughly 1x1x4, but at $165 I wanted to see what others have used before I order. I imagine I'll need the longer / thinner bar eventually, but seriously do I ever stop buying tools for this project???

-John
Spring, TX

squeezer yoke

If I remember correctly, I used one of the yokes from my pneumatic squeezer as a bucking bar to get these rivets. The yoke is heavy and flat, so it worked well in this tight area.

And...No, you won't stop buying tools;)

Get the bar

I have a 1/2X1X4" tungsten bar. I fretted about spending the money for it when it was $115. I don't regret it. When I got to the wings it was the best bar.

Check out Pbr47906 or N277PM on youtube. Oh. Enjoy buying the tools.

http://youtu.be/XoR_eHyPSfw Frank Smidler is helping. Mary is recording

Paul
N277PM
Canopy
RV7A

Last edited:
Man Card...

LOL, my Man Card. Not to worry, I took my squeezer yoke (thanks for the tip) and attached it to an 8" long piece of wood using duct tape, wire ties, and a little gum if I recall. Yeah, I may have overdone it, but is there any other way?

I will probably buck up (pun intended) and get the right Tungsten Bar for the rest of the project...I was on a roll though and wanted to pound some rivets. Managed to get most of that bottom row done tonight so it worked out.

tungsten bar

In reality, the tungsten bucking bar will only cost you about $30. When you are done, they last about 5 minutes posted here before someone buys it. That is how I got mine. I think that is about how it is for most of the tools you need.

It is sort of like the lathe I bought a couple years ago. It still had the new stickers on it and I am the 3rd owner. I really think there is only one lathe out there and you only own it for a limited time, then it goes to the next person.

Cleaveland tools has a 1x1x2 "mini" tungsten... By far my favorite tool!!!!!! It even has one angled face :D. I was $119.00 a few weeks ago. It's super dense and weighs more then my normal tungsten bar. Call to make sure Mike has it in stoke though!!!!

Back