What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Rivet

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Ok guys, what you hiding? LOL

I've searched the builder's logs and no one has a photo of this rivet...

How did you pull this rivet? Just to fit the rivet puller in there I'm going to have to grind so much of it away that I'm not sure it will still work! Maybe they make smaller rivet pullers? How did you guys install these three rivets in the flap bracket?

Do you have access to the other side? Looks like you could set a solid rivet there with the factory head on that side if you can get a bucking bar behind it. Not building a -7 so can't say for sure...

Thanks for the reply Chris but no, there is no access to the other side. The flap is closed up (that's why Vans uses pop-rivets here).

pulled rivet

Bend the stem over about 20 degrees. Make a tapered shim with a hole big enough for the stem. Slide it over the stem and use your puller at an angle. The shim will help turn the forces and pull a straight rivet.

What Robert said. I also ground down the face of the rivet puller which also helped.

I'd attach a picture, but haven't figured out how to do that yet! :rolleyes:

Use the wedge

What Dan and Robert said. Essentially make a wedge shaped shim, and drill a hole through it to fit the rivet pin, this lets the puller slope away from the flange, while still pulling the rivet reasonably straight. I had the same problem on the tank, got the answer from Van's. Worked great.

That off-set pull method is described on page 05-6 of the new Section 5 that is available on Van's site. It's got lots of new general info that I found helpful. If you have not downloaded it yet, I recommend you do.

Good. I stumbled on it a short time back myself. There was probably some announcement posted but I must have missed it. I sure like all the help I can get!

Pulled rivet - no access

How did you pull this rivet? Just to fit the rivet puller in there I'm going to have to grind so much of it away that I'm not sure it will still work! Maybe they make smaller rivet pullers? How did you guys install these three rivets in the flap bracket? QUOTE]

Cut a short piece of tubing (hard AL), and sleeve the rivet stem a little bit. There will still be enough 'bite' on the stem to pull it. Leaning a little WITH the sleeve will allow more space for the tool, too. Think of this as "offsetting the opposing force of the puller face." The first little pull will give you a good stem length to finish.

;)

close quarter rivet tool

This is a good tool for getting up close, but I surely wouldn't pay the new price for it:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=P26A

Others have suggested you make a wedge like this:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5012

I bought one and really like it. It's come in handy lots of times. I actually spoke to Bob Avery about the price. He was not happy the only manufacturer keeps raising the price. They may not carry them much longer.

Back