What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Rigging

paul330

Well Known Member
I am fitting the Reflex FPS with the Ray Allen Position sensor. I have it all figured out (I think!) how to physically install all the stuff but I have a question about the rigging which I hope you guys can help with.

The manual says to rig the flaps hard up against the wing rear spar for the reflex position. You would then program that on the Reflex box. However, with a little wear and/or airloads etc, what happens if you hit the stop before you quite get to the sensed positon. Will the flap motor continue to run in an effort to get the flap to the reflex position or does the system sense that and stop the motor? Or do I need to rig the flaps just off the stop to give some tolerance?

Also, I need to calculate the geometry of the flap movement against the length of the sensor motion to get the levers right. Does the motor go full travel or is it stopped before the 2 limits? If so, what is the change in length of the shaft on the end of the motor for full travel from reflex to down?

Last edited:
I have not used the same sensor, but I guess it will be the same.
Yes you will have to fine tune it in order for the motor to stop very close to where you have the flap against the rear spar. Did not have much of a problem to set it up. ;)

Thanks Jan - pretty much what I thought. I guess I will have to wait until the wings are on to finally fit the position sensor etc so that I can figure out the geometry and throws. I suppose you want to use as much of the throw of the sensor as possible so as to get the best discrimination of position.

Back